looking for advice - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

looking for advice

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to sailing. I purchased an 1974 islander 30 last year and began my sailing journey. After the winter (sat on trailer) I put the boat back into the water and the yanmar 8hp diesel engine isn't cooperating. I did get it to start but does not run long, and blows what looks like oil from the exhaust. I did make sure all the water was drained before winter. Because of this, I was also wondering about the possibility of putting an outboard motor on her if the inboard is shot.

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: looking for advice

Would need more info to offer ideas. Oil in the exhaust usually creates blue-ish smoke. If you're seeing pure product, something is very wrong.

Perhaps you're just seeing a sheen on the water, below the exhaust. That could be unburned diesel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

A 1 lunger 8hp is small for that boat...ysm, qm, etc
Find a real motor guy to look at it.
Assume nothing....get facts

post #4 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hello again,

It seemed to be oil coming out of the exhaust... this is why I was wondering about the possibility of putting an outboard motor on the boat...

Thanks
post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

In the long run, if you don't want the value the boat to fall to the point you may have to give it away, bite the bullet and rebuild the diesel. It would be a great learning experience and it could even be fun.
There is no plus in adding a gas outboard to a 30 foot boat you actually intend to use in any but the fairest weather.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Rebuild the engine?

On a 1974 30 footer?

The boat is worth pocket change, isn't it? USD$5,000??

What a small outboard on it and enjoy the boat! Then give it away or sell it for $1,000.

Big point is to enjoy it.
gstraub likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I hate to think that draining all the water from a diesel, for the winter, is hard to do. Folks generally run anti-freeze through their engine, because there can be dips and low spots that don't drain. I was considering whether you might be seeing anti-freeze purging. I hope water didn't freeze over the winter and crack the block, which could permit oil into the exhaust.

It's a pretty dramatic situation, so I hope that's not it. If you're new to this, have you considered having a diesel mechanic take a look? As a general rule, diesels like to run and often have pretty simple problems, when they don't. Hope that's the case for you.

If the diesel is toast, it could cost more than the boat to repair. If so, I'd be inclined to start over soon, before throwing more money at it. It would unfortunately be worth less than zero, so every time you need to spend money on it (and you will), the pain will increase.

If you could provide more detail or pics, perhaps we could collectively provide more ideas to check.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Could just be a head gasket or something else easy to fix. Would get a good wrench to take a look at it and then decide what to do.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #9 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

My fear is that you didn't winterize properly and now have major engine damage. Get a mechanic to look at it and find out for sure. One plus is that a small engine like that is easy to pull and take to a shop for a rebuild.
post #10 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

As others have said; get a professional opinion on the engine. It may be a reasonable DIY project, or something worse. Point is that without that info, you really can't make a good decision on the outboard. And you are much better off with the inboard.

As for the outboard option:

What kind of sailing will you do with this boat, and where? Will you have to fight current? Any chance of getting caught in a blow where you'll need to motor against weather and wave action?

The outboard won't let you maneuver like the inboard; no prop wash over the rudder, no prop walk, which would matter in a tight space, or sub-optimal docking conditions.

You'll need a long enough shaft to keep the prop in the water in rough weather (if that's a thing in your sailing are). Looking at the transom on an islander, it looks like it may be mounted in a difficult to reach place, so remote start and throttle controls? Where will the gas tank go? If below deck, you'll need a blower.

Your outboard option could end up costing as much as fixing the engine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in