SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Universal m-18 won’t start sometimes (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/330586-universal-m-18-won-t-start-sometimes.html)

sailing11 07-13-2019 05:05 PM

Universal m-18 won’t start sometimes

Hello,
I have a Catalina 27 with a universal m-18 diesel motor in it. I replaced the glow plug switch about 6 months ago as the previous one was pretty sticky and wouldn’t disengage anymore

Now I have a separate hut possibly related problem: Today I ran the motor for 90 mins while cruising and got to the dock and shut it off for 10 mins. I tried to start it up again and nothing happened. No motor turning over or grumbling - no anything. I waited a minute and tried again and it started right up no problem. This has happened to be a few times now. I’m wondering if my starter switch could need a replacement?

After only sitting for 10 mins after being ran for so long, the glow plugs should not need to be used so I don’t think it’s a glow plug problem but I’m not sure.

Any thoughts?

RegisteredUser 07-13-2019 05:11 PM

Re: Universal m-18 won’t start sometimes

Clean battery connections...1st

Capt Len 07-13-2019 05:21 PM

Then check all the stuff at controls area (dashboard) Learn how to jump the solenoid as part of diagnosis (and emergency start) Solenoid should click ,could be temp sensitive as could be brushes of starter

eherlihy 07-13-2019 10:10 PM

REMOVE THE TRAILER PLUG CONNECTORS IN THE UNIVERSAL ENGINE HARNESS. Replace with terminal strips.

sailing11 07-13-2019 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya I sure don’t like the look of that trailer connection. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the culprit. It might be above my skill level to change it and I’m hesitant to do it in the middle of summer. Here’s what it looks like. Do you know if it is hard to change?

eherlihy 07-14-2019 07:34 AM

I have changed them on several boats. Do one wire at a time, and use quality connectors. The blue butt splices pictured are crap, and should also be replaced. Not hard - for me anyway. There are two of them, by the way, one near the engine, and one near the control panel.

Good luck.

sailing11 07-14-2019 01:19 PM

Roger thanks for the input I’ll give it a look. There’s 2 separate trailer wiring harnesses to replace?

eherlihy 07-14-2019 02:18 PM

One harness - two trailer plugs.

sailing11 07-21-2019 09:06 PM

All the wire connections look ok. All are tight when I try to wiggle them. When it doesn’t start, all I get is a “clicking” noise when I pull out the starter switch but that is it. Then it started ok when I tried again 2 mins later. I’m currently on anchor so I’d like to get to the bottom of this . Any ideas of what to do next in term of troubleshooting ?

eherlihy 07-22-2019 06:42 AM

Check battery voltage. If not that, see post 4