Westerbeke diesel will not start - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 07-27-2019

Re: Westerbeke diesel will not start

raksail

Any news.

I was with a captain who had the same problem with the same engine. His problem was that the dashboard glow plug button did not trip the solenoid that energized the glow plugs.

He replaced the solenoid and all was well.

I noticed in your first post you checked that already, dam I thought I had a new idea.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-28-2019

Skipper Jer, fair question, not sure. One idea. If the OP tested the fuel flow/spray by running the lift pump or his new bypass pump connected directly to power, not while the engine was actually cranking, then the sensor fail-safes were out of the loop. This would possibly explain why a squirt of any sort of starter fluid would get a brief ignition. The engine wants to start but it isn't getting fuel while cranking, maybe because the oil pressure failsafe circuit is saying shutdown.

Another lesson from my (stupid) incident above. My main engine wouldn't start at all, but the genset would start and run as long as I held the "preheat" button down. When I let go of the button it stalled. The main engine does not have a separate pre-heat button, just a rocker switch with one side as preheat and the other as crank the starter (which also lights the glow plugs during the cranking). These two different behaviors taken together confused the heck out of me for a while (and eliminated fuel as a problem). The lesson is that while in preheat and while cranking the oil pressure failsafe is bypassed so the engine can start (I knew this before but it just wasn't clicking in my brain then). So my genset kept running if I held down the preheat button because it had taken the oil pressure failsafe out of the loop, and the fire suppression system uses the same failsafe circuit, so when I let go of the button the fire suppression circuit killed the fuel flow. I'm sure the main engine would have behaved exactly the same way if it had a separate pre-heat button.

In my system the low oil pressure switch (different than the oil pressure sensor) is normally closed when the engine is cold and has no pressure. In this position it sounds the low pressure buzzer and kills the fuel pump (except while bypassed in preheat/crank). When the oil pressure builds (almost instantly) the switch opens and the circuit is happy and the fuel pump gets power. The super easy way to test this is just take the wire off the oil pressure switch making it open. Then crank. Of course other engines might be different.
The Following User Says Thank You to jr_spyder For This Useful Post:
Skipper Jer (07-28-2019)
post #33 of 35 Old 07-30-2019

[QUOTE=jr_spyder;2051617484 The lesson is that while in preheat and while cranking the oil pressure failsafe is bypassed so the engine can start (I knew this before but it just wasn't clicking in my brain then). [/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow. Just when you think you understand the beast there is another whole circuit that can mess up.

I wonder how common this OP failsafe circuit idea is? Maybe only on certain models or certain sizes.
DeepDish likes this.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

post #34 of 35 Old 08-05-2019

ARRRRR, what is happening OP? Fixed? Did you call in help? Give up? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #35 of 35 Old 08-05-2019

I dont want auto locking doors or auto lights when its dark.
I need to do..something..in this life by myself...

Tags
british leyland parts , diesel will not start , westerbeke w50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in