Warning! New filter system on new Yanmar engines is Bad! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

Re: Warning! New filter system on new Yanmar engines is Bad!

I agree with ripping the whole thing out and replacing it. Short of that, I'd re-work the fittings ( if possible) to eliminate the 90 degree turn. Adding another filter, just seems to add another maintenance and potential failure point.

Sh#$ happens with fuel, as you experienced, it usually happens at the worst possible moment. But, It shouldn't happen because of poor design.

After a few similar incidents on my old girl, ( too much crud in the tank, no inspection port) I yanked the fuel tank and replaced it.
Even though it has worked flawlessly since, I still carry a stern anchor that I can deploy in a minute, just from the memory of the engine cutting out, perilously close to the inlet rock pile.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Mark,

A question.

Does this troublesome Yanmar filter have a hand pump on its top? I think I see one in the picture. That might be a nice feature to retain if possible.

Is there a way to replace the banjo fitting with something more straight forward? Iíve had good success with a Parker dealer helping me out with odd fittings.
Yes to the pump on top, that's one reason to keep it as there is no hand operated pump near the final engine mounted filter, nor a bleed screw on the engine.

Re replacing the Banjo Bolt with a screw in barb fitting. I will investigate.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #23 of 51 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post

How much fuel do you use before you you need to replace a racor?
Every second oil change so 300 hours.

300 hours at 5 knots at 3 litres per hour =900 litres/237 us gallons.

But the Racor filter can be flicked out in about 60 seconds.

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

post #24 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

Too many variables to change fuel filters on a set schedule, imo.
Its able to do its job or not. 1000 hrs or 10 hrs....

Regarding that yanmar filter thingie, i would 1st talk to the engine dealer
post #25 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

Have the exact same set up as Z. Works great. Have gotten bad fuel and would alternate between changing them but was able to keep the boat going until we got wind. Went through 6 yes six filters with that episode. Impressed on me the need to carry as many spare filters for everything you can find room for. Fortunately have four fuel tanks so was able to switch to the other tanks for the rest of the trip. Learned to never fill all 4 tanks from the same source unless I knew it had good clean fuel.
The fuel filter mounted on the engine block of 4 hjte yanmars is a PIA. It’s attached with two bolts. Find getting the sensor out without chafing or tensioning the wires is easiest if you remove those two bolts. Then you can easily disconnect the wires, take off the protective steel cup and get to the filter.
Find it’s good practice to have a gallon or qt. of diesel stored in a separate container. You can use that to top off the racors without having to mess with the tanks after changing filters.
Also if you unbolt the fuel filter you have room to put something under the thing so you don’t get a diesel mess with a fuel filter change. Use sockets for this change and tighten lightly to allow me to do stuff with the thing held in my hand. I change the fuel filter with each oil change. I change the racors only when needed. I’ve found the smallest zip ties don’t scratch metal and are good for cleaning out most small clogged holes. Can take a razor blade to make them even narrower. Then run corrosion X then carb cleaner through them to clean out any residual junk.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 08-18-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #26 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

Havenít been filtering fuel before it enters the tanks. Does anyone here do that? What do you use?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #27 of 51 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Havenít been filtering fuel before it enters the tanks. Does anyone here do that? What do you use?

Nope. And I cant really as I often put another gerry can in at sea. My fuel tank is not so big so for cruising I always take, and rely on, 6 gerrys. I cant use a Baja filter when in a seaway with the chance of a wave over the deck.

Sea Life

post #28 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

Another thought is to use a pre-fill filter. I read in PS that the West Marine pre-fill rated best. I have that one and don't like it. Takes forever. I think they all might. The Baja filter is popular and expensive, but I've never tried it. Also gets good ratings. Says 2 gallons per minute filtration rate. We can easily take on 60 gallons (we hold 110). That's a half hour. I suppose, if cruising the islands, it's just part of the deal.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 51 Old 08-18-2019
Weekend Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
But the Racor filter can be flicked out in about 60 seconds.
Got it down to 15 minutes, including dropping anchor, finding tools, prefilling the new filter with diesel.
Had to do it yesterday just north of the the Statue of Liberty.

This is the 4th time in the last two weeks - bouncing across the waves must have stirred up a bunch of stuff from the tank bottom and the polisher is only getting the suspended matter; got to find a better way to clean the tank!

/ed
post #30 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

My experiences pale in comparison to you *ocean-crossing folk, but still, my recent change/upgrade to a Racor 500 might be relevant.
Pictured in my blog entry and among the photos is also one showing the old installation of the smaller Racor inside the engine compartment.
New Location: Racor & Lift Pump - Blogs - EY.o Information Exchange

Having the 12 volt "Facet" lift pump in place to pull the fuel thru the Racor and push it on thru the spin-on engine filter, to the hi pressure pump is, as the saying goes, a "good thing."

*this would be those of you who have wrung more water out of your socks than I have sailed over...

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in