Warning! New filter system on new Yanmar engines is Bad! - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 08-17-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Exclamation Warning! New filter system on new Yanmar engines is Bad!

Hi folks,

I got into a very serious problem the other day.
I have a new Yanmar 4JH57 the new common rail engine. 300 hours on the clock. It has a new pre-filter replacing the Racor 500. The inlet on the new Yanmar pre-filter has a Banjo bolt where the fuel must turn at 90 degrees and go through a hole in the bolt about 1mm wide.

This turn gunked up and the engine stopped.... in a remarkably difficult and dangerous location with a contrary current of 5 knots and me being only able to sail at 1.3 knots - directly towards the rocks!!! With another 6 hours of current sucking me into the infamous Alderney race with currents up to 9 knots.

If it had stopped 15 minutes later there is no way I could have turned around and been able to sail into the current.

So I had a fun few hours trying to sail and locate the fuel fault.
Also the filter needs a spanner/wrench far larger than I have so I couldn't change the filter at sea!

On a brand new engine its not expected to stop!
Anyway I finally traced it back to the Banjo Bolt and its tiny hole. A tiny piece of orange plastic has gummed it up then crap built up around it.
I though a pre-filter was meant to suck anything out of the tank and filter it before the primary fuel filter mounted on the engine.

I do not want / and will not have this possible situation again. Cruising boats can often pick up dirty fuel (I've fuelled in Venezuela, Egypt, Oman, Indonesia, Malaysia etc) or some goop can get in or grow, no matter the additives etc.

My solution is to buy a new Racor 500 as a pre-pre-filter and to mount it in the aft cabin on the external riser for the bunk, adjacent but on the outside wall to the Yanmar filter. Thus I will be able to ensure gunk the size that blocked the Banjo Bolt will not cause a problem, and that I can visually see the Racor from the Saloon, and change that Racor filter in less than 1 minute.

I found the problem and cleaned the Banjo Bolt and was able to get back to harbour no problems... but by then another bit of gunk was in the bolt.
I pumped out the whole tank and filtered the fuel and its clean as a whistle.

I will upload a pic of the problem off my phone in a few moments... but heres a location snap of exactly where you do NOT wanna have the engine clag up.

Your comments appreciated.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
lehague.jpg  

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 08-17-2019

Re: Warning! New filter system on new Yanmar engines is Bad!

Good job on making without scratching up the rocks off the cape at Cherbourg! I had the space in the engine compartment and put in a dual Racor system before the engine fuel filter and so far it has done a good job (apart from the episode where I had more water than fuel - no filter can keep up with that). I had a lot of gunk in the lines as well despite the fuel tank being clean.

Could the plastic piece have come into the system during the commissioning/installation process ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 51 Old 08-17-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

The black goobie bits are flattened.

I 'think' the orange it came in from a gerry can. Dunno how.

The filter show shows how much gunk I got out of the fuel tank. Negligible.

BTW, the passage was a major shake-a-thon and I only had about 50 litres of fuel in the tank, so classic stirred up sediment.

[most spelling corrected ]
Attached Thumbnails
tmp-cam-5679833947208375978.jpg   tmp-cam-1400755436580958038.jpg   tmp-cam-8567119442134549306.jpg   tmp-cam-1360456080277048961.jpg  

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 08-17-2019 at 06:47 AM.

post #4 of 51 Old 08-17-2019

Lol Mark - either you've been sipping at the medicinal alcohol or your spell-checker has

I does look nasty - did that black stuff also make it past your filter? Is that electrical connection under the filter for the water-warning buzzer?

post #5 of 51 Old 08-17-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Lol Mark - either you've been sipping at the medicinal alcohol or your spell-checker has

I does look nasty - did that black stuff also make it past your filter? Is that electrical connection under the filter for the water-warning buzzer?
Spelling corrected

The black stuff was stuck in the Banjo Bolt before getting into the filter.

Yes, the wires below are for the water alarm. Its that part I cant unscrew at sea without a better tool.

With your dual racors:
Do 2 Racors slow down the fuel flow?
What micro filters are you using?

I was thinking the 30 micron... but if fuel flow isnt slowed down could I use 10 micron or even 2 micron?
With 2 micron the pre-filter and the engine mounted fuel filter would never need to filter anything.

Mark

Sea Life

post #6 of 51 Old 08-17-2019

Benefit of dual racors is being able to switch from one to the other, not double filtering
olson34 and SanderO like this.
post #7 of 51 Old 08-17-2019

So these new fangled Yanmars come with both an engine mounted and remote pre-filter?

Sounds like I'd lose the Yanmar pre-filter altogether and replace with a Racor. Intuitively, those bango fitting are not the best inlet for a fuel filter.

I'm not a fan of dual 2 micron filters in series. That means that everything clogs the first filter and nothing ever gets to the second. If you had real sediment, I think that shuts off the fuel sooner.

I use a 30 micron Racor and a 2 micron engine mounted. The big stuff is caught first, as well as the Racor separating any water, then the 2 micron gets anything left over. Change them both on schedule, which is annual for my use. I would change every 6 months, if I was full time and taking on suspect fuel.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

Mark - As someone has already noted, the dual Racor doesn't run the fuel through both filters, just one. But if that filter becomes clogged I can switch over to the other filter with the engine still running and then have time to replace the other. I did this so that I can, when necessary, run the engine with bad fuel as long as I have sufficient clean filters for replacement. I have 30 micron filters in the Racors and the filter on the engine is a 2 micron one. When I replaced that filter it was still clean so the Racor is doing its job. The whole assembly is pretty big and you might not have enough room on your boat for it, but a single Racor with shut-off valves on both sides of it should be sufficient.

I have an electrical warning as well for water, but that didn't work when my engine ingested water or the wires might have worked but I heard no buzzer or alarm. Do you know if your water alarm is functional?
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by Zanshin; 08-18-2019 at 03:27 AM.
post #9 of 51 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Fuel line going INTO the pre-filter has a right angle turn into this tiny hole in the Banjo Bolt.

Crazy!
Attached Thumbnails
tmp-cam-4823107574732915114.jpg   tmp-cam-3388981472229416554.jpg  

Sea Life

post #10 of 51 Old 08-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Fuel line going INTO the pre-filter has a right angle turn into this tiny hole in the Banjo Bolt.

Crazy!
Crazy is right. I'd remove the whole thing and replace it with the Racor, rather than just add a Racor.
eherlihy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in