Re-engined boat developed water in oil. Can it be heat exchanger? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-17-2019 Thread Starter

Re-engined boat developed water in oil. Can it be heat exchanger?

~~~I REALIZE THE LIKELIHOOD OF A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, OR HEAD ISSUE, BUT....""""~~~

Hi,

I don't know where to begin with my question, so any leads are helpful. I have an older VW pathfinder engine with a bowman heat exchanger. I just installed the engine, got it running without water (just for a very little while to make sure fuel & electric was working) and it ran fine. Once water pump was installed, and engine was run for a minute or so, it wouldn't restart (after idol was set too high, shut off, fixed, restarted 2 times no issue, 3rd time wouldn't start), and I had water in the oil.

I REALIZE THE LIKELIHOOD OF A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, OR HEAD ISSUE, BUT....

I was wondering what possibility it could be leaking from the heat exchanger. For one, there is no antifreeze detected (circulated from internal water pump and antifreeze tank), and it only happened once water was introduced, so it seems possible it could be heat exchanger issue. it is an external water pump, so it can't be leaking from the raw water pump. I'm not experienced in wet exhaust systems so I don't know the possibilities of it leaking from the heat exchanger. I did not have a chance to view the exhaust aft of the transom to know if there was proper water exit. It was never run for over a minute.

Thanks for any help or direction you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-18-2019

Re: Re-engined boat developed water in oil. Can it be heat exchanger?

Do you have a anti siphon in the sea water circuit?
post #3 of 23 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, and I just got done reading how common these crappy little plastic pieces go bad. I heard it hissing like crazy towards the end of its Run Cycle. I drained the oil and took off the filter today, and I will do a couple of oil changes with the new anti siphon and higher lift in the lift Muffler. Unfortunately, on its last run it started to develop a nasty sound. Hopefully I didn't been things to destruction. I'm also going to remove the glow plugs and have the starter rotate the engine for a few to see if that helps push any piston water that may be here. Any other suggestions before lighting this up again and / or removing water that's inside?

post #4 of 23 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

However, I also dont understand how anti siphon failure allows water into my engine when the system is meant to be run with flowing water. And should there be air relief on the top of exhaust hose above lift muffler, or is a loop sufficient?
post #5 of 23 Old 08-18-2019
One of None

This is a time when photographs would really help,. because, no one's there looking over your shoulder, they can't see what you're talkin about unless you use photographs.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #6 of 23 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

Waterline is in blue. Post wouldn't allow me to turn anti siphon pic 90. (Mess is temporary)
Attached Thumbnails
20190818_133123_1566160312091.jpg   20190818_132407_1566160344096.jpg  
post #7 of 23 Old 08-18-2019 Thread Starter

And if anti siphon failure allows water into engine, what stops the water from the anti siphon break to keep from coming back into the engine. That's a solid amount of water through that 3 1/2 foot tube.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-18-2019
One of None

Only a guess, too much water is falling back to the engine. Never seen a siphon tube that high above the engine I know supposed to be above the water line is the raw water pump strong enough?

Just thoughts:
Bad HeatEx would be coolant in the oil

Clogged mixing elbow, wrong design,

More than one trap in the discharge hose to transom

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 08-18-2019 at 06:16 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-18-2019

Must have a vent in the top of loop. Lets air in. Pissser tube up to overboard or the silly little diaphragm that always dribbles or fails,. Only the water in the exhaust side drains back down to water injection point . I usually put a drain valve in the water lift so no way will it fill. ,,, Crank engine with plugs out to see if any water spray. Sounds like a head gasket.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 4 Weeks Ago
One of None

I feel bad usually the forum is all over a post like this, you don't seem to be getting much attention hope it's not head gasket!

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in