re-powering 1988 Sabre 36? - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

re-powering 1988 Sabre 36?

Hopefully about to be a new owner of a 1988 Sabre 36. The Westerbeke W27A is original equipment and has over 2000 hours on it. Could be that it runs for another 1500 or more, or it could be that after 31 years it will need replacing in the couple of years. I'm hoping someone has experience and/or insight on what good replacement options might be.
Attached Thumbnails
Image 8-20-19 at 9.34 AM.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: re-powering 1988 Sabre 36?

2000 hours on diesel is just broken in. if taken care of it could go 10,000 plus

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
coopertr (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Don't know, the answer to your question. I haven't done that research yet. Two things come to mind though. If you are just buying the boat, I'd have someone look over the engine, test the oil, compression etc. Make sure everything is sound.

I don't want to jinx myself, but my WB 27 is 34 years old and still running strong. You may have to replace things like water pumps, Heat exchangers etc. but if the engine was well cared for it should service you well for years to come.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempest For This Useful Post:
coopertr (4 Weeks Ago), Maine Sail (4 Weeks Ago)

post #4 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

We just retired a diesel 38 year old genset that had around 19,000 hours on it and was still running fine. Problem was with freeze plugs and the like, not the diesel engine's operation. Take care of your Westerbeke, change oil frequently, especially if you don't use it much, and keep anti-rust additive in the fresh water and you should be good to go for many years. We changed oil every 150 hours on the old genset and will on the new one as well.
2000 hours is nothing for a well maintained diesel!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
coopertr (4 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We just retired a diesel 38 year old genset that had around 19,000 hours on it and was still running fine. Problem was with freeze plugs and the like, not the diesel engine's operation. Take care of your Westerbeke, change oil frequently, especially if you don't use it much, and keep anti-rust additive in the fresh water and you should be good to go for many years. We changed oil every 150 hours on the old genset and will on the new one as well.
2000 hours is nothing for a well maintained diesel!
Thanks. Hope we can get that kind of hours on it. Will make sure the maintenance routine is solid.
post #6 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
One of None

Before that old westie fails you will be old like me and dream of a trawler with twin Ford Lemans lol
capta likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #7 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

These are the rules of thumb that I use for maintaining my Universal M25 diesel engine;
  • Visual inspection (belts, fluid levels, cleanliness) - 10 hours or every week.
  • Oil and Filter Change - 150 hours or every year. Whichever comes first.
  • Replace fuel filters - as needed. Minimum of 300 hours or every 2 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Coolant drain & replace - 300 hours or every 2 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Valve adjustment / check - 500 hours or every 5 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Injector pop test / cleaning - 500 hours or every 5 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Compression test - 500 hours or every 5 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Clean exhaust elbow - - 500 hours or every 5 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Starter Motor clean and lubricate - 500 hours or every 5 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Major engine rebuild (injector pump, cylinder head and cylinder deglaze) - 5,000 hours

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
coopertr (4 Weeks Ago)
post #8 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hey,

IMHO the main killer of marine diesel engines is salt water. Assuming the engine gets basic maintenance like oil and coolant changes, it should last a very very long time. Now if you let the oil sump sit in a salt water bath, or ignore a leaking sea water pump that is dripping or spraying salt water into the block, and otherwise ignore it, the case will rot and once that happens it's not really worth it to make repairs.

I've seen an engine that was constantly exposed to salt water (the oil pan). Eventually the pan developed pin hole leaks. That allowed oil out and salt water in. That destroyed the bearings and the engine was ruined.

The Universal M25 in my 1986 O'day had about 4000 hours when I sold it in 2014. It ran very well and easily moved the boat at hull speed.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
coopertr (4 Weeks Ago)
post #9 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
al brazzi

Don't forget Zincs, my Volvo has a block Zinc on a 1/2' plug on the front of the motor by the thermostat.
post #10 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
Don't forget Zincs, my Volvo has a block Zinc on a 1/2' plug on the front of the motor by the thermostat.
Good point about the sacrificial anodes. I try to check them every month. I just replaced the one in my heat exchanger anode after 3 months of use. This particular pencil anode had corroded in the middle. I guess that there was some kind of mould release agent on it that prevented it from wearing from the end.

Here's what it looked like:

Old on top
New on bottom
Attached Thumbnails
20190820_154453.jpg  
RegisteredUser likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in