Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 09-30-2019
Old soul

Re: Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I was just playin' . Chemistry is my thing, and the advertisers do NOT make it easy to discern facts. It is not in their interest. In fact, a few have actively resisted development of industry standards, which tells you something of their character.

I did a bunch of tests, following a draft ASTM procedure, and some worked, and some didn't. A few made it worse.

In fact, I didn't test STP, since it was not a marine store product, so I don't actually know about that one. I do know that Merc Quick Store and Biobor EB are very good with gas and Starbrite and Valvtect are very good for diesel. But formulations change.

I've got a 12-product trial of gas additives running right now. It will be interesting to see if rankings have changed, since some of them reformulated since the last time I tested them.
Donít suppose you can add STP

Donít worry, I got the chuckle. Chemistry was always a bit too complicated for me. Iím more of a simple physics guy .

But youíre right ó I havenít really done my homework on this stuff, so I really would love some tested guidance. Every year I wonder to my automotive store and stare at the wall of diesel stabilizers. I read the bottles ó I really do. But they all sound the same, so I usually just pick one that is cheap and sounds good.

Like I said, Iíve been winterizing this way for going on 20 years now, and have never had a problem (that I know of) with gunk building up in the tank. I suspect it has something to do with always filling the tank, and also living in a cold climate where stuff doesnít grow very fast over winter. But maybe Iíve just been lucky.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 09-30-2019

I've been using Biobor JF, which could be 10+ years old (came from PO with the boat), at the maintenance dosage. I'm going to get a fresh bottle and up the dosage to "shock" level.

I've also been using Opti-Lube XPD for its lubricity properties. It is not a biocide, although it does have a demulsifier as I mentioned in my prior post.

I used to use Star Brite EZ Stor EZ start detergent additive, but discontinued it when I started using Opti-Lube with the demulsifier because of the old Steven Wright joke:

Quote:
For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier... I put them in the same room and let them fight it out.
I would like to add the Star Brite Biodiesel to my cocktail, but can't find it. Hence my prior question to @pdqaltair .

An important part of the whole anti-slime question is fuel management - the old "full vs. empty" question. What I have been doing the past few years is to fill up the tank before winter to avoid condensation, then consume as much as I can during the season before filling up completely again. I have never seen a drop of water in my Racor, so that's a good sign. But I am still seeing some bacterial growth which requires me to replace my Racor annually. I'd like to do better than that, so I'm willing to try something different.

Do any of you continuously top off throughout the season to keep your tank full all the time? That would avoid any head space and minimize sloshing around. Would that reduce biological growth? I'm not sure. I do know that since I consume about a tank every year, the back-mixing that results from continually topping off would mean the fuel would have an average age of 2.7 years. That's why I try to run down my tank throughout the sailing season, so I'm not dumping new fuel on top of old fuel.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-30-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-30-2019
dadio917

practical sailor tests fuel treatment products every once in a while with lots of good info. Lots of good info there.

Dadio917
Valiant 39

post #14 of 24 Old 09-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
practical sailor tests fuel treatment products every once in a while with lots of good info. Lots of good info there.
I'm aware of that, and am reviewing the updates they've published on this since 2009. I encourage others to subscribe and get access to that information.

FYI, @pdqaltair is the guy who leads their testing programs.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-30-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #15 of 24 Old 09-30-2019

I just buy Valvtect fuel. Additives already in it. Look up local marinas that dispense it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-30-2019
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've been using Biobor JF, which could be 10+ years old (came from PO with the boat), at the maintenance dosage. I'm going to get a fresh bottle and up the dosage to "shock" level.

I've also been using Opti-Lube XPD for its lubricity properties. It is not a biocide, although it does have a demulsifier as I mentioned in my prior post.

I used to use Star Brite EZ Stor EZ start detergent additive, but discontinued it when I started using Opti-Lube with the demulsifier because of the old Steven Wright joke:

I would like to add the Star Brite Biodiesel to my cocktail, but can't find it. Hence my prior question to @pdqaltair .

An important part of the whole anti-slime question is fuel management - the old "full vs. empty" question. What I have been doing the past few years is to fill up the tank before winter to avoid condensation, then consume as much as I can during the season before filling up completely again. I have never seen a drop of water in my Racor, so that's a good sign. But I am still seeing some bacterial growth which requires me to replace my Racor annually. I'd like to do better than that, so I'm willing to try something different.

Do any of you continuously top off throughout the season to keep your tank full all the time? That would avoid any head space and minimize sloshing around. Would that reduce biological growth? I'm not sure. I do know that since I consume about a tank every year, the back-mixing that results from continually topping off would mean the fuel would have an average age of 2.7 years. That's why I try to run down my tank throughout the sailing season, so I'm not dumping new fuel on top of old fuel.
If I understand correctly, the age of the fuel is not as much of a concern for diesel as it is for gasoline. I got my tank level lower this season than any of the previous years I have owned the boat, and had a filter clog. I think I will keep it topped up better (and figure out how to clean the tank, and get a filter vacuum gauge).

Valiant 32
post #17 of 24 Old 09-30-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I use the valvatec additive. Fuel not offered in many places here.

Always filled up during winter storage. Try and keep it over half full. We average 100 gallons a year, but we use our boat a lot. Longer trips sometimes requiring motoring to keep up an average of 5 knots. At 3/4 gallon per hour that averages to approx 135 hrs per heR.

Diesels like to be run. Clean fuel and running the diesel means less worries and less chemical concoctions to keep it stable. I realized that after all the varnish issues I had with a previous 4 stroke outboard. No matter which product I used or which technique, I always wound up with varnish in the carb. Chemicals donít stop or fully protect.

If I only used on tank a year I might consider installing a second small tank.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #18 of 24 Old 09-30-2019 Thread Starter

Lightbulb Re: Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
What you need for corrosion is an additive that inhibits corrosion. In fact, that has been studied. Biobor won't help.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_11083-1.html But really, nearly all water comes in through the deck fill or vent (really--samples nearly always show salt), and the salt is what makes it aggressive. Just a tiny bit.

Regarding dead microbes, if a biocide is used as a preventative, the number will be so small your filters will easily handle it. If you waited until they were clogging the system, no additive can dissolve that much, and would it be a good thing if it could (they will be going through your injectors)? Face it, you need to clean such a tank.
Reading this over, I will go buy some Star Tron Enzyme. Local WM store carries it, and I have a coupon to apply.
Probably not perfect, but it sounds like a good product to try.

Thanks to all who participated!

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #19 of 24 Old 09-30-2019

The full/part full argument is always interesting. I've been a chem E in the refining industry, and arguments go both ways (reduced breathing vs. fresh fuel in the spring). It's not worth the fight. A few things I am sure of:

* Silica gel vent filters help. No water breathing. They REALLY help with e10, because they greatly reduce evaporation as well.
* Run your engine more. Fuel is not meant to last for years. I believe most marine engines die from disuse, not hours. If you are racking up the hours, ignore this bullet and move on.
* Copper and zinc are quite damaging to fuel stability. If you read ASTM and diesel manufacture guidance for standby generators they will say NO copper or zinc. If there is any water, at all, these catalyze sludge formation in diesel and gasoline. Don't believe me, Google it. I've studied this, and so have many others. If you cannot minimize these metals (you probably cannot, then use an anti-corrosion additive (no ions, no sludge).

(some of the standards and OEM recommendations are listed here)
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...breakdown.html

In a glass jar, diesel will last for a decade. Gasoline will last a few years. So consider the reasons they do not last in your tank.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 09-30-2019 at 10:45 PM.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-01-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

I wonder about the effect of additives on the plastics and rubbers in the fuel system.

This year I put Sta-bil 360 Marine in the dinghy Sceptar gas tank. The bit of clear plastic that holds the top of the fuel pickup tube to the bottom of the fuel gauge and fuel outlet assembly swelled up and the pick up tube fell off into the tank stopping the outboard and causing a long row back to the boat. Scepter in an email said that they do not recommend additives.

Again this year based on the advice of another boat owner, I added some FPPF Marine Diesel Fuel Treatment (butyl cellosolve and 2-ethylhexyl nitrate) to my diesel fuel tank along with my usual Biobor JF. Later the high pressure fuel pump developed a leak at one of the outlet valve holders when the o-ring below it failed. While there was a time correspondence, I obviously don't know a cause and effect.

Anyway, are there unintended consequences to adding a non-hydrocarbon to petroleum fuels?

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 10-01-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in