SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/331482-diesel-fuel-treatment-multiple-questions.html)

olson34 09-29-2019 07:37 PM

Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions

I have been using "Bioborģ JF" fuel treatment for many years. What do you folks use to "treat" your fuel for when it sits in the tank all winter, AND as a biocide, if additional is needed?
And, is there anything on the market that will dissolve the remnants of the 'bugs' that do get killed. (Asked because a friend tells me that there is such a product....)

And, what will keep moisture in suspension rather than having it condense out and form little water drops in the bottom of the tank that will corrode the aluminum?

That's several questions and I am not really sure just how related they are!

I just pulled our tank out and had a very small hole welded up in the bottom of the low end of the tank. All is well now. Funny thing is that our Racor filter has *never* trapped any visible dirt or water. This particular tank was installed 11 years ago.
When I pumped out the fuel, however, I did find some little "clumps" of dirt or critters or something laying on the bottom... not a lot of them, but a depressing sight all the same. :crying

My repair guy (who builds custom tanks and lots of other things in aluminum tells me that all diesel fuel will have 'some' water invisibility present in it, in suspension, and this will coalesce out into little tiny drops of water when the tank sits.

Also, if I have missed a relevant thread, perhaps I have not searched the site enough.

Thanks much.

RegisteredUser 09-29-2019 07:50 PM

Re: Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions

Good thread.
Wont get caught with bad fuel probs.
Clean tank

pdqaltair 09-29-2019 09:09 PM

What you need for corrosion is an additive that inhibits corrosion. In fact, that has been studied. Biobor won't help.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_11083-1.html But really, nearly all water comes in through the deck fill or vent (really--samples nearly always show salt), and the salt is what makes it aggressive. Just a tiny bit.

Regarding dead microbes, if a biocide is used as a preventative, the number will be so small your filters will easily handle it. If you waited until they were clogging the system, no additive can dissolve that much, and would it be a good thing if it could (they will be going through your injectors)? Face it, you need to clean such a tank.

TakeFive 09-29-2019 11:17 PM

Each fall I revisit the "empty vs. full" fuel tank debate, as well as assessing whether the additives that I currently use are sufficient. My fuel filter clogged this weekend, so I'll be taking another look and asking more questions. I don't have time for that now, so here are a few relevant threads from the last few years:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diese...esel-fuel.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...polishing.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diese...rsal-25xp.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...abilizers.html

MikeOReilly 09-30-2019 06:49 AM

I usually use the cheap stuff. Last few years itís been STP Fuel Stabilizer. So far (18 winters) have had no problem.

I always fill the tank to limit water/condensation. And I also live in pretty cold climes, so perhaps bugs canít grow as easily through my winters.

I change my Racor every few seasons, and only once did it have any visible amounts of junk on it.

pdqaltair 09-30-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOReilly (Post 2051628618)
I usually use the cheap stuff....

Shame on you! A smart guy, too.

You justify a huge anchor, which you can see, and then cheap out on chemistry, which you cannot. StarBrite or Valvtect will stop corrosion. And they are ALL cheap, considering how little is used. The thing is, some are snake oil, and some are not.

(I'm just joking with you! But I have run side-by-side the tests on these, and I like seeing the winners get the credit they deserve.)

MikeOReilly 09-30-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 2051628650)
Shame on you! A smart guy, too.

You justify a huge anchor, which you can see, and then cheap out on chemistry, which you cannot. StarBrite or Valvtect will stop corrosion. And they are ALL cheap, considering how little is used. The thing is, some are snake oil, and some are not.

(I'm just joking with you! But I have run side-by-side the tests on these, and I like seeing the winners get the credit they deserve.)

Thanks Ö I think ;). But just to be clear, I really donít know anything about all these snake-oil products. I donít even know if I need to add it to my diesel to over-winter here in the cold. So Iíd be happy to learn more about all this stuff.

SoÖ my cheap STP wonít cut it? Well, too late for this winter, but Iíll gladly look for better stuff next year.

hildamman 09-30-2019 11:03 AM

I use K100, it turns water into a suspension into the diesel, so it just burns. Not sure if it contains a biocide.

TakeFive 09-30-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildamman (Post 2051628682)
I use K100, it turns water into a suspension into the diesel, so it just burns. Not sure if it contains a biocide.

Depending on how fast you consume your fuel, emulsifying the water may be the WORST thing you can do, as it increases the surface area of the droplets where the bacteria can have an orgy. In fact, some products actually have demulsifiers to prevent this. If you're a big stinkpot going through hundreds of gallons of diesel, emulsifiers could be good. But if you're a weekender on a sailboat going through 25 gal. a year, no so much.

@pdqaltair - Based on your test results, I'm interested in adding Star Brite Bio Diesel to my biocide mix, but it looks like Star Brite no longer sells it:

Search

I don't know how long ago they discontinued it - I'm afraid if I find "old stock" somewhere it may be expired. Do you know if Star Brite come out with a replacement product that uses the same thiocarbamate pesticide?

pdqaltair 09-30-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOReilly (Post 2051628672)
Thanks Ö I think ;). But just to be clear, I really donít know anything about all these snake-oil products. I donít even know if I need to add it to my diesel to over-winter here in the cold. So Iíd be happy to learn more about all this stuff.

SoÖ my cheap STP wonít cut it? Well, too late for this winter, but Iíll gladly look for better stuff next year.

I was just playin' :wink. Chemistry is my thing, and the advertisers do NOT make it easy to discern facts. It is not in their interest. In fact, a few have actively resisted development of industry standards, which tells you something of their character.

I did a bunch of tests, following a draft ASTM procedure, and some worked, and some didn't. A few made it worse.

In fact, I didn't test STP, since it was not a marine store product, so I don't actually know about that one. I do know that Merc Quick Store and Biobor EB are very good with gas and Starbrite and Valvtect are very good for diesel. But formulations change.

I've got a 12-product trial of gas additives running right now. It will be interesting to see if rankings have changed, since some of them reformulated since the last time I tested them.