Can a H/X be repaired? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 10-03-2019

Re: Can a H/X be repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
You forgot to include " I have to devalue anything Denise says"
I saw no such thing, unless it was deleted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 10-03-2019

Not sure if it's convenient for you, but you could try Rogers Radiator Shop in Medford (781.395.7777). Good name locally and have boiled out plenty of Hx, but not sure if they'd repair one. Maybe worth a shot (and they're right next to Harbor Freight if you need to waste some time while you wait...)
post #13 of 20 Old 10-03-2019
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
Not sure if it's convenient for you, but you could try Rogers Radiator Shop in Medford (781.395.7777). Good name locally and have boiled out plenty of Hx, but not sure if they'd repair one. Maybe worth a shot (and they're right next to Harbor Freight if you need to waste some time while you wait...)
Oh![emoji1787] I'm not the only one to mention radiator shop? how about that... Lmao

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

post #14 of 20 Old 10-03-2019
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I saw no such thing, unless it was deleted.
You missed what I was implying, every time I post the a certain somebody jumps my input with a negative.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #15 of 20 Old 10-03-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

A leaky tube can be quickly and easily "repaired" by driving a tapered plug into both ends. I have one pair in my Yanmar 3HM35F. I am a chemical engineer. and I have seen many heat exchange tubes plugged or sleeved. The first thing google turned up was... https://www.cw-estgroup.com/Products...lugging-System With bigger tubes it is possible to re-roll the tube ends into the tubesheeet, but I doubt that is worthwhile for 1/4" or so tubes.

I'd pull it out and take it to the largest radiator shop you can conveniently get to.

Bill
eherlihy and capta like this.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-03-2019

Quote:
You missed what I was implying, every time I post the a certain somebody jumps my input with a negative.
Still donít see it. The post you quoted seems to actually agree with you.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-08-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

... and the NEW H/X arrived yesterday. I painted it "Universal Bronze" in the afternoon, and it's ready to go on the boat today.

For ~$360 I have peace of mind. I would rather not have to worry about some other part of the H/X corroding or getting plugged.

I had purchased the H/X that I buggered for $175 plus shipping for the 2014 sailing season from eBay. It has served me well for 6 years. I had no idea of how old it was. If someone here wants it (3" x 13.25") PM me.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #18 of 20 Old 10-08-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
If you stop at a HVAC you should be able to pick up a couple sticks for copper brazing I think the trade name is " silvaloy". You can also use silver solder and flux which is the kinda the same thing in the sticks
While this seemed like a great idea, and the repair would have been relatively simple (braze a plug into the tube in question), I had some concerns;
  • I have never repaired a radiator or heat exchanger. I'm a sailor, instructor, mechanic and an electrician. I am NOT a welder.
  • The keys to successfully soldering are; 1- to heat the material that you are soldering to the melting point of the solder and 2- to thouroughly clean the surfaces to be joined.
  • The only tools that I have to solder are an electric soldering gun, a soldering iron, and a propane torch. The torch would be the best option, but I don't think it would be up to the task. Remember that this H/X is made from copper or copper-nickle alloy... It is effectively a big copper heat sink.
  • While I have cleaned the crud out of the passages, I don't think that any of the tubes inside of this H/X are clean enough to solder.
  • Thinking that I had "fixed it" with a cold-solder plug, which could break off at any moment, would be worse than knowing that there is a problem. If raw (sea) water mixed with coolant while the engine were running, I would have a bigger problem than I have now.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #19 of 20 Old 10-08-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

I have a new H/X on order already, but I am curious; can this be repaired?
HX are way oversized for the heat load and you would need to run full out a long time to come close to it not being able to keep up with the heat load

have that tube plugged and put it back in

but then, I'm never right

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #20 of 20 Old 10-08-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

The original H/X was a 2" x 16" unit. It was undersized for the M25 and larger engines, and Westerbeake/Universal released a Service Bulletin about it in 1991. I am attaching an excerpt of the service bulletin below (the actual bulletin is 3 pages). I obtained a copy of this Service Bulletin and replaced the 2" H/X with a 3" unit in 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
HX.JPG  

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-08-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in