Installing new engine - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 10-15-2019

Re: Installing new engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
...The alternator belt on my boat is well beyond its 10th year, the impeller 25 years, the engine hoses 30+ years......
My grandmother smoked every day and died at the age of 94, from natural causes. That doesn't make smoking a recommended practice.

I implore the OP to do their own research and see what the proper advice is. A 25 year old impeller is as edge case as I've ever heard.

Hose and belts typically last longer than their shelf life. The question is whether you want to determine their durability underway, or follow best practices and avoid being stranded or causing collateral damage.
olson34 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice! I'll post the results when I get the engine in. Gotta' love Sailnet.

Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29
post #13 of 29 Old 10-15-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

Quote:
If it works, leave it alone.
The alternator belt on my boat is well beyond its 10th year, the impeller 25 years, the engine hoses 30+ years.
If they look or sound distressed, they get replaced, not before.
There is no way on this earth I would change the belts, impeller, or hoses on a motor that had never been used.
Run it first, see how they perform, see how they look, then decide.
Not before.

You might want to re-think this one. Parts wear out, but they also degrade with age. An engine hose at 30 years? Unless you are really careful in checking them, you might be headed for a failure. A failure, by the way, could cost a lot of money, or happen at a time when the boat could be placed in jeopardy. But, if you're really on top of checking them.... An impeller, however, cannot be checked unless you take it out - at which point you might as well just replace it. An impeller that fails can overheat an engine really fast.

I'll illustrate my point with two stories:

A friend at the harbor is a really good sailor. Nice boat too. He came back in after a daysail with his mast broken in two. Turns out that the turnbuckle failed. Older boat, hardware older than the replacement schedule. I saw the turnbuckle. Where it failed, it was rusty along the failure surface. In other words, the failure was a long time coming. Not an engine failure, but a failure that could have killed someone if luck had gone against him.

Second story. Friend's boat, different friend, engine stopped. I towed him in. He cleaned all the filters and went to his boatf the next week, but the engine wouldn't start. Turns out that a bunch of crud had blocked the intake tube inside his diesel tank.

My point is that you don't have to go crazy, but you do need to maintain your boat systems. At least replace that impeller. In my experience, it pays off to do filters, belts, fluids, clean it and look for anthing else that you can do. A stitch in time saves nine.

Just my opinion, and how I run my boat. Your boat, your choice.

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 10-15-2019 at 09:51 PM.

post #14 of 29 Old 10-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

25 years on an impeller. Not sure I understand the logic of risking a $10 part replacement vs having the fish the vanes out of the heat exchanger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #15 of 29 Old 10-16-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
If it works, leave it alone.
The alternator belt on my boat is well beyond its 10th year, the impeller 25 years, the engine hoses 30+ years.
If they look or sound distressed, they get replaced, not before.
There is no way on this earth I would change the belts, impeller, or hoses on a motor that had never been used.
Run it first, see how they perform, see how they look, then decide.
Not before.
You are bragging about not changing your impeller in 25 years?
I wouldn't leave the dock with you on that boat if it was sailing after Noah's arc had sailed and it was my only hope!
Minnewaska likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Maybe he should replace this one as well, eh? A Kubota will have something in there similar, won't it?...

Volvo Penta GUMMIKUPPLUNG - Ersatzteilnummer 827615 - Schmidt & Seifert

After all, it might fail one day unexpectedly.

And it's only $360 bucks.

Then there is the gearbox final drive seal, and the crankshaft forward seal, and the crankshaft aft seal, and the valve guide oil seals.
They have all got to be changed too, don't they?
After all, they are 10 years old and might fail, mightn't they?
And when he is digging in there trying to get them out there is no telling what else he might find or break on the way in. I mean the engine is Japanese, and nearly all those fasteners will have been impact-driven at the factory, and man they are hard to shift sometimes, eh?
Imagination knows no bounds (nor expense).
The mind boggles !

Last edited by Rockter; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:37 PM.
post #17 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
You are bragging about not changing your impeller in 25 years?
I wouldn't leave the dock with you on that boat if it was sailing after Noah's arc had sailed and it was my only hope!
Capta :

I am not bragging about anything and i wouldn't let you on my boat as i could not stand the constant critique (and expense) of trying to keep you happy. After all, nothing must be older than 10 years as it might fail, even the whole boat.

The impeller pumps and pumps strongly.
When it doesn't I will change it... there are two impeller spares on board, and a spare pump, and two starters, and a spare gearbox, and a spare alternator.

As for seaworthyness and the Arc and all that, well my boat took me across the North Atlantic, you know (?) through the usual gales and so on, and it still floats, and i changed the coolant impeller 25 years ago.
How far has yours sailed without stopping for spare parts? Six times round the world no-doubt?

Last edited by Rockter; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:11 PM.
post #18 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Capta :

I am not bragging about anything and i wouldn't let you on my boat as i could not stand the constant critique (and expense) of trying to keep you happy. After all, nothing must be older than 10 years as it might fail, even the whole boat.

The impeller pumps and pumps strongly.
When it doesn't I will change it... there are two impeller spares on board, and a spare pump, and two starters, and a spare gearbox, and a spare alternator.

As for seaworthyness and the Arc and all that, well my boat took me across the North Atlantic, you know (?) through the usual gales and so on, and it still floats, and i changed the coolant impeller 25 years ago.
How far has yours sailed without stopping for spare parts? Six times round the world no-doubt?
Rock,

We got your point.

There is nothing wrong with you following your own philosophy.

Just like there is nothing wrong with me following a preventative approach. Many have a PM approach to items which wear out on their boat.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #19 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Catalina 400 MKII

So I looked up the manufacturer's recommendation for replacing the impeller on my Yanmar 3JHAE. It says every 4 years or 1000 hours. That sounds appropriate.
post #20 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Yes, what works for you, certainly, follow it.
But would you change all the hoses, the impeller, and all the seals on an engine that has never been used?
Remember that if anyone claims that the hoses are degraded, then all the seals will be too.
Would you change out all the engine seals - all of them - as some sort of PM campaign on an engine that has never been used?
Have you ever tried removing the crankshaft seals to see how much work that is? And when you put it together again, does anyone claim that they can do a better job than the assembly line?
These engines DETEST being disturbed like that.
Wait until the first oil drips start - where previously there were none - then get back to us with this all-encompassing "PM" approach.
To me, that is beyond comprehension - just, like, out of it, somewhere.
Start it, run it, heat it up, bollard test it, wobble the hoses, get out the magnifying glass, and make your decisions, but to throw usable hoses and impellers and seals in the bin every five years and to dig out all of the engine seals starting with an engine that has never been used????
Really????

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in