rolls down hill - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Barquito

rolls down hill

I have had a series of interesting (a little scary, frustrating, stupid...) events this fall. A while back, I forgot to open the engine water cooling valve, and overheated my Westerbeke 27. The only obvious damage, was a destroyed impeller. Changed the oil, and didn't find any metal chunks. Engine sounded OK, so I proceeded with moving my boat to it's winter storage 100 miles away. On the way I clogged the fuel filter. Initially, I assumed the two events were unrelated. However, after looking into this, it is possible they may be. When I overheated the engine, I also overheated the fuel. The level of fuel in the tank was a little less than half. As the engine overheated the temperature of the return fuel got warmer, and quickly heated the smaller amount of fuel in the tank. Apparently, higher temperatures can make asphaltenes coagulate in the fuel. For some reason the PO had a 2 micron primary filter. It took about half a day of motoring to clog the filter. It may not matter much now, but, do you think my forensic evaluation is plausible?

Valiant 32

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 10-15-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2019

Re: Sh!t rolls down hill

Could be, But I suspect that there's junk in the tank, with less than 1/2 tank it sloshes around more and gets in to lines, a 2 micron is too fine as a primary IMHO, I use 10 on the same engine. I might look into getting your tank cleaned and going to a 10 micron primary.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2019

Unless your tank is exposed to the engine compartment, I doubt the return fuel was all that much warmer, when it got back to the tank. Let alone warm enough to materially change the tank temp. The sludge theory seems more plausible.
capta likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Could be, But I suspect that there's junk in the tank, with less than 1/2 tank it sloshes around more and gets in to lines, a 2 micron is too fine as a primary IMHO, I use 10 on the same engine. I might look into getting your tank cleaned and going to a 10 micron primary.
For sure, I'm going with a 10 micron on the primary. I also got a vacuum gauge to help give me some forewarning.

My tank is wedge shaped on the bottom. I think I would only have (fairly poor) access to the deep part of the tank. Think that would be sufficient, since most crud would flow downhill? I must admit, I haven't crawled down there deep enough to see if there is a clean out port on the bottom of the tank.

Valiant 32
post #5 of 8 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Barquito

rolls down hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Unless your tank is exposed to the engine compartment, I doubt the return fuel was all that much warmer, when it got back to the tank. Let alone warm enough to materially change the tank temp. The sludge theory seems more plausible.
I don't really know how my engine is plumbed, but, I think in a lot of diesels, the returning fuel is actually used to cool the injectors and for lubrication, thus returning to the tank warmer than when it left. I doubt the injectors would be any hotter if the engine is overheating. Not sure if a hot engine block would have an effect. Just in case, I am going to weld cooling fins onto my tank... just kidding.

Valiant 32

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 10-15-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-15-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: rolls down hill

In any case, it seems to me that your boat is talking to you. It's saying that there is somthing gumming up your filter. Polishing your fuel is a reasonable precaution. In some places there are services that can come to you to do this. It is also fairly easy to make your own polisher. Either way, it seems fairly easy/inexpensive. You might consider this as a preventative maintenance opportunity.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-15-2019

I'd go with grime in the tank too. When I converted to Electric Propulsion in 2008 I started to convert to old diesel fuel tank for my Westerbeke 27 to a fresh water wash down tank. I was surprised what grime was in the bottom of the tank as I started to clean it: https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011...-of-grime.html

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-15-2019

Starting with and knowing your tank is sparkling clean will eliminate unending mind bending assumptions and guessing in the future. Solid control point.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in