Polishing fuel filter change procedure - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2020 Thread Starter

Polishing fuel filter change procedure

Hi, I have a yanmar 3gm35f engine. I want to make sure that I have a correct fuel filter changing procedure in place, primarily to avoid getting air in the fuel lines. Any ideas where I can find it? My engine manual doesn’t cover it. Here is a picture of the filter housing.
Attached Thumbnails
0DA6CCD6-49E8-43DC-A1CD-D284F80BB8D7.jpeg  

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2020

Re: Polishing fuel filter change procedure

The Yanmar in our generator requires no manual bleeding. It has a fuel shut off at the filter housing and an electric fuel pump that refills the housing.

The process for our Volvo Main is a tad more involved, but often get away with not bleeding. Not always.

The point is, they’re all different. Find the operator manual for yours. It’s good to have for lots of reasons.
krisscross and overthehorizon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-20-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have a Yanmar gmf30. Similar engine . As long as we fill the Racor to the top with diesel it usually does not involve bleeding.

We always have a small jug of diesel as well as cup with pouring spout to do this as we change our filter at least once in season as well as before winterization.

That being said, you should identify and semi practice how to bleed your injectors. It’s not a hard thing to do. 😀
SanderO and krisscross like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #4 of 12 Old 02-20-2020
Master Mariner

That looks more like a fuel/water separator with possibly a screen in it to filter out the big stuff. If you have a Racor 500 as your primary, you shouldn't need to bother with the secondary every 3rd or 4th Racor filter change, unless you have water in the Racor bowl.
It appears you have a fuel pump directly before this filter. If you fill the Racor is full and this bowl, you should be able to bleed the system at the injectors, as above. Just lay an oil absorb pad under the injector feed lines and crank the engine until raw fuel without bubbles comes out at the injector feed line/injector connection (nut).
However, also as above, you may not need to bleed the system at all if you fill the fuel filter housings up all the way.
krisscross likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 12 Old 02-20-2020 Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. This is a fine polishing filter past the Racor filter, just before the injection pump. Racor is mounted much higher. I have changed the Racor filter but not this one. I have noticed a tiny fuel leak there. I tightened the filter Cup and the mandolin connectors bringing fuel to and from the filter unit. Electric pump pumps the fuel to this unit. I looked in the manual but the filter changing procedure is not there. These are small pleated paper filters that I have on hand. I’m currently on hard in Brown’s Boat Basin in Nassau for a few more days. Would like to get that done before I leave to go south.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #6 of 12 Old 02-20-2020

Kriss,
Just fill the secondary filter with diesel as well as the primary as Chef2 suggested and you shouldn't have to bleed. If you do have to bleed, start with the bleed screw on top of the secondary, the one that uses a 10mm wrench. I have only had to bleed at injectors when the engine stalled due to clogged filters and as others have said it's no big deal. If you're doing it by yourself you will need to short the starter solenoid with a screw driver unless you have a remote start switch. Start at the forward injector and turn the engine over till you don't see any air, Move to the second and repeat. Engine will most likely fire after the second injector is bled.
After Thought....
When I say fill the secondary filter I'm talking about the bowl that the paper fits into. You should also change the O ring on top of the bowl when you change the filter.
Hope this helps

Last edited by contrarian; 02-20-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarity, it's late
post #7 of 12 Old 02-21-2020

If you're in a pinch and need to get this done, without the manual, here are some methods...... Which is yours, I can't know. Isn't the operator manual online somewhere?

Does your fuel pump have a manual lever on it? Many/most mechanical pumps do.

If it does, shut off the fuel at the tank or wherever you can prior to the filter. Remove that ring with the grooves that is holding the bowl on. The grooves can be moved by tapping them, in the proper (lefty loosey, righty tighty) direction, with a screwdriver and hammer, as necessary. Pull the filter housing off, drain it's fuel into something you can see to inspect for contaminants. Clean the bowl and replace the filter. To replace, you can first try to fill the housing, either partially or fully. However, in many installations, you need to tip the housing to get it back to it's mount, making that messy or impossible. I don't bother, on the engine mounted filter. Push the housing back on and tighten the ring you originally loosened. I typically tighten about 1/8th turn past hand tight. Don't over tighten. Be sure the gasket seats normally and is not pinched. Now loosen that nut in the center, on the top of the filter mount. It should be the bleed screw for the filter housing. This is different than bleeding the injectors. Start pumping the manual lever on the fuel pump, until you stop seeing bubbles and see pure fuel come out. I can't reach the lever and watch, at the same time, so I put a paper towel over it and wait for a good slug of fuel. If you are not seeing bubbles or fuel, it's because the cam is not in a position to allow the lever to actuate the pump. You have to tap the starter and not let it try to fire, just to slightly move the cam and try again. Tighten the bleed screw. Turn fuel back on. Start engine. It may chug a bit and smooth out in a few seconds. If it won't start or continually runs rough, you'll need to bleed the injectors.

If you have an electric pump, removal and reinstall is the same. To refill the filter housing and prime the fuel lines to the injector pump, you typically just activating the ignition, without turning it to start. In some cases, with button start, you tap start, but don't hold so it actually starts. This powers the fuel pump which circulates fuel until pressure is achieved.

Of course, in either case, check the housing for leaks. The gasket can need replacing periodically. More often, it's not seated properly, if it's leaking.

If you're forced to bleed the injectors, it's pretty easy. You just back off the nut on top of each injector, until it's not being held by any torque. Don't fully remove. Crank engine, without starting, until fuel appears through the threads. It will get past, as the injector is pretty high pressure. Again, using a paper towel around it can help identify the fuel, if you need to go back and forth to the cockpit. Retighten the nut. Do the injectors one at a time.

That's the best I've got in the blind. Good luck.
krisscross likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-21-2020

One other note:
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE BLEED SCREW. If you're like me and have a tendency to tighten beyond snug be careful. The housing for the secondary is Aluminum and it's easy to strip the threads On it. Stop at snug.
krisscross likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-21-2020

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Detailed instructions for changing the fuel filter that is mounted on the engine is at
https://l-36.com/read_pdf.php?page=6..._Repair_Manual

Go to page number 60 which should be page 3-22 in the manual, and you will find it there.

Google may find you a copy of the manual (Seloc QM_GM-HM_4JH_4JH2_repair_manual.pdf) to download and have on hand.

Bill
CVAT and krisscross like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2020
HANUMAN

I sometimes had to use the bleed screw at the top of the filter, sometimes not (2GM). Sometimes it would run just fine, a couple of times it ran rough for a bit... Towards the end I just always bled it from that screw. Always have the crush washers on hand if you don't want things to weep.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in