Impeller chunks - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-11-2020 Thread Starter
Barquito

Impeller chunks

I have a fairly small chunk of my impeller missing. If is doesn't pass through the engine (a Westerbeke 27), is the heat exchanger the most likely place to find it? If it isn't in the heat exchanger, is there anything else I can do?

Valiant 32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-11-2020

Re: Impeller chunks

Yes! Most likely in the Heat Exchanger. Remove the end cap on the intake side 1st. Most likely you'll find the pieces there. If they are not readily visible, look into the tube ends, a piece might be wedged there. You might want to have a pair of replacement gaskets handy. If not, you could probably get away with reusing the old one if it is intact. Order new gaskets to have on hand though.

On the other end, sometimes you'll find pieces of Zinc. I clean up those bits too,
post #3 of 12 Old 03-11-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I have a fairly small chunk of my impeller missing. If is doesn't pass through the engine (a Westerbeke 27), is the heat exchanger the most likely place to find it? If it isn't in the heat exchanger, is there anything else I can do?
Yes....get your tweezers out.
It is the reason I replace my impeller every year as part of spring commissioning.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #4 of 12 Old 03-12-2020

BTDT. At least, if you have a very identifiable chunk missing, you'll know when you find it. I've had entire impellers let go and you're never sure you found it all. My most catastrophic failure occurred, after I'm certain the boat yard failed to open the intake thru-hull when testing filter changes. Work fine, when I started up, but completely let go 5 minutes off the dock.

If you remain uncomfortable, it can be an excuse to descale, by setting up a circulating pump to push acid backwards through the system. Sort of a dual purpose backflush. I put a submersible pump, with an intake screen, in a 5 gallon bucket and connected it's out flow hose to the back of the heat exchanger and then a return hose on the other end of the circuit (prior to it reaching back to the water pump). I used a couple of gallon of RydLyme descaler and ran it for about an hour. I found a bunch of little debris in the bottom of the bucket, some of which was undissolved scale.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-12-2020

Is it not standard practice or not feasable to put a filter in line right after the impeller?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-13-2020 Thread Starter
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
Is it not standard practice or not feasable to put a filter in line right after the impeller?
I'm guessing regularly changing the impeller would cut down the chances of bits breaking off. In my case, I forgot to open the cooling water intake valve, and ran it dry.

I may consider backwashing the whole engine. However, I think the heat exchanger is pretty limed-up, so, I'm probably just going to pull it out and descale.

If I do backwash, what sort of pump would I use?

Valiant 32
post #7 of 12 Old 03-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
I don't think it is standard practice but I have thought about doing that.

Is there any negatives to that, other than slightly higher complexity of the system and slightly reduced flow?

(I don't think cost is a problem, this could be home-brewed pretty easily)
post #8 of 12 Old 03-13-2020

some sort of coarse filter or screen after the impeller seems like a good idea, I've never heard of it before. I chewed up an impeller last year for the first time ever (I change the impeller each season but last season we did about 3 seasons worth of motoring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I may consider backwashing the whole engine. However, I think the heat exchanger is pretty limed-up, so, I'm probably just going to pull it out and descale.

If I do backwash, what sort of pump would I use?
I considered putting together a backwash system last year and in the end decided to buy the rydlyme kit. I'm real happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/RYDLYME-Marin.../dp/B07CPGJKGZ

the pump in the kit is a centrifugal pump with a coarse foam screen on the intake, nothing special. I ran it for about 4 hrs and it pulled out a lot nasty crap

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #9 of 12 Old 03-13-2020

I bought a 110v submersible pump at Home Depot and connected hoses that were chosen to adapt to my engine’s hose barbs. Unless the changer is so corroded that acid won’t flow through, I don’t see the advantage of removing it. I only see the standard risk of breaking something while doing so, needing a gasket you don’t have, etc. you also need to drain the coolant to remove it. Some are easier/harder to access than others too.

A $50 endoscope from Amazon is a great tool to send through the barb and inspect the exchanger. One of the most useful tools aboard. This was mine after de scaling the year before.

Impeller chunks-10b4da24-af51-46da-a9fb-2717a6496ff7.jpeg

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-13-2020 Thread Starter
Barquito

Quote:
I considered putting together a backwash system last year and in the end decided to buy the rydlyme kit. I'm real happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/RYDLYME-Marin.../dp/B07CPGJKGZ
That looks like the way to go.

Do you think one gallon of the solution will be OK?

Valiant 32

Last edited by Barquito; 03-13-2020 at 01:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barquito For This Useful Post:
hpeer (03-15-2020)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in