SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cav 296 air bubble

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AndyP 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the joys of the Cav 296 diesel filter.

Changed it last week, along with the fine filter on the engine.

We bled the system without a problem, and the engine restarted first time. Ran well for 10 mins or so, at various revs.

On leaving, I noticed a small air bubble in the Cav filter, right at the top of the glass bowl. Quite small, and hard to see in the pic.

Is this a potential problem? Will be heading back to the boat at the weekend, and am wondering what action I could take.

Will, for example, simply bleeding the CAV 296 from the bleed nut at the top of the filter casing be enough to dislodge it?

Any thoughts welcome.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Those CAV's also have another name from the company that invented them - Lucas.

Nuff said.

Best thing I ever did was get rid of them for a Racor. You will always be chasing air leaks through the three easily distorted orings.

Wait until that bowl cracks on you and starts draining your diesel tank into the boat.

Mark

#6 ·
Those CAV's also have another name from the company that invented them - Lucas.

Nuff said.

Best thing I ever did was get rid of them for a Racor. You will always be chasing air leaks through the three easily distorted orings.

Wait until that bowl cracks on you and starts draining your diesel tank into the boat.

Mark
Yes, I'm looking at a Racor, or a spin-on conversion for the CAV (Drive Force, I think). On the To Do list...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.