SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

oberdorfer impeller

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pschoonveld 
#1 ·
Hello,

In the spring I installed a new impeller on my raw water pump (Universal M25 with Oberdorfer pump). I did this because the vanes on the old impeller were cracked (impeller was installed some time before 2006 when I bought the boat).

Today I started the engine and noticed very little water flow out the back. After I removed the cover I saw that most of the impeller blades had cracked and / or torn off.

I have another spare, but I'm hesitant to install it, since I don't know how long it's been sitting around.

Who makes the best impellers for this engine? I see that Defender sells a Neoprene unit for $28, and various models from Globe that are 'run dry' and much more expensive (about $55).

I don't care about the price, I just want the best impeller. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barry

#4 ·
You might want to check the brass shoe that is folds the blades back (held in place by a small screw on the outside of the housing). If it is worn funny, there is a chance that it mangled your impeller.

As well, I would check the strainer. It seems unlikely to be destroyed in such a short period of time unless the impeller was poorly made or you picked up something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.