SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Diesel (
-   -   pulling shaft off Hurth ZF250 trans flange (

xort 10-22-2009 03:28 PM

pulling shaft off Hurth ZF250 trans flange
On my Endeavour 42 I have a Hurth ZF250 trans. I have the flange bolts off and I'm trying to get the shaft off the flange. I've seen MaineSail's PBase photo essay. Wish mine was that easy.
The trans side flange is deeply cupped so putting a socket there doesn't really work. Tightening the bolts very far bottoms them out on the trans housing. I tried taping a nut as a spacer in the cupped area but tape won't hold to the rusty oily metal.
I thought about putting a heavy steel bar across the trans side flange but I'm concerned about the uneven pressure that would put on the flange as I tighten down.
Due to the very tight space, I can't get a picture of the trans flange.


erps 10-22-2009 03:44 PM

An alternative to squeezing the two flanges together with a socket in between is to use an actual puller. This would only work if you can slide the propeller shaft aft enough to get the puller in there. Anyway the puller I speak of has a funny four fingered arrangment kind of like the peace sign with a threaded screw in the middle. You would bolt the peace sign portion of the puller onto the propeller shaft flange and then start screwing in the threaded rod in the middle, that is going to press the shaft out. I've done it that way myself one time. I'll see if I can find a picture of the puller I'm talking about.

xort 10-22-2009 03:52 PM


that may be the way to go.

suggestions on where to get one of those? Is that a marine tool?

erps 10-22-2009 04:11 PM

I bought a set from Snap-on years ago when I turned wrenches. I would think your local NAPA store ought to have one. To be honest, I'm not sure what that kind of puller is called. It took me a while to find a picture of one and that was under steering wheel puller, but the one I have is a lot heavier duty than that one. I'll keep looking.

erps 10-22-2009 04:16 PM

Sears sells something similar. They call it a harmonic damper puller

deniseO30 10-22-2009 04:37 PM

Xort! we used 4 pieces of threaded rod instead of bolts! it worked but was still very difficult! A deep socket and then a peice of pipe that fit between as the shaft mover deeper into the flange hub. Caution, the flange on the trans is cast and easy to break. Don't buy pullers at harbor freight!

xort 10-22-2009 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by erps (Post 534651)
Sears sells something similar. They call it a harmonic damper puller

Excellent Ray

For $20 I can't go wrong

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome