Minimum amount of compression to fire a diesel - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 Old 03-13-2010 Thread Starter

It sat for a day because of crappy weather yesterday. I put the SOs hair dryer on the injectors and the fuel lines. It started after a few cranks so it was not an instafix but it seemed to help. Not sure if there is an objective way to measure something like how effective a fix is with so many variables.

I dumped a few ounces of marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. It did not blow up or anything spectacular. I will change the oil in a couple of weeks to get that out of there.

I tied an extra spring line on and put the engine in gear so I could get it up to temp. I could not figure out why it would not warm up like it should until I checked the thermostat wire and it was disconnected. Its always something I guess.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 Old 08-29-2016

Re: Minimum amount of compression to fire a diesel

I know this is an old post but I have been a diesel mechanic for many years and there is always something that people forget.
That would be battery and starter condition. These directly affect cranking speed. Cranking speed is much more critical on a diesel than a gas engine for reasons mentioned above related to "heat sinking". The stirling engine uses that principle to run. Basically the head, piston, and cylinder wall will sap the heat right out of the air at an incredible rate. If the engine cranks too slow the required heat is gone before the injector fires. Many GM diesel cars and trucks came with 2 batteries from the factory. I actually added a third to help the two last longer and facilitate faster cranking, thus faster starts on my diesel van.
If you are into getting the most out of tired diesels I would highly recommend 3 start batteries or at the very least checking and cleaning all electrical connections and possibly upgrading the starter whichever way you can. I have found some of the newer gear reduction starters (for GM vehicles) seem to be able to crank a bit faster. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in