universal diesel issues....hot, leaky etc - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-22-2010 Thread Starter
Two many boats!

Question universal diesel issues....hot, leaky etc

OK so heres the deal, I had posted about how my 413hr universal m-25 started right up with a few gaskets and a good cleaning etc etc after I pulled it and found water in the oil pan (sat 1/2 submerged in water on the hard for about 1.5 years) well long and short is the oil was displaced up and protected the bearings .

Well I cleaned her, put some new gaskets and reassembled (only thing that did not come off was the head and front cover)

Had it on a engine stand/holder with no hot water heater bypass in line and she stared right up and the temp was 165 even and ran for about 45 min @ idle with a little reving but VERY little.

Put it in the boat hooked up the hot H2O heater etc and started her again, temp climbed to 230 as I thought all was well and she got shut down, filled the raw water again and vented the top of the thermostat with it running (alot of bubbling before a steady stream of coolant began to flow.) Temp stabilized @ 185ish but could not for the life of me feel hot water going into the H2O heater section valve opened or 1/2 opened.

I am concerned with the temp @ 185 under NO load....I believe I read in another thread 1 time that there could be vapor lock in the hot H2O circut......

could this be a reason for the 20 deg higher temps? If so how do I remedy this?

The leak(an oil leak) is an easy fix...i believe it looks like it is coming out the back plate of the injection pump, the one gasket I reused....DOOH BART!

thanks guys/gals......

Josh, less than a month away from a 30' catalina TR in the water!

I love to sail, coming from a Swordboat capt's loin one would think I'd of caught the bug long before now! Oh well, this ones for you Bisque...(My Father may he RIP)

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2010
One of None

bubble in the hot water loop! Happened to me too! took the hose on the after side of the W/H off (while cool) and it burped!

tsk tsk.. using old gaskets.

good luck!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2010

Hey,

I went through something similar this year. I changed the raw water pump, had the heat exchanger boiled out, and changed the coolant. Put everything back together and test ran the engine, which worked great. Launched the boat and motored to my slip. After 5 minutes the temperature gauge was pegged. Got to my mooring and shut the engine down. Opened the bleed bolt on the thermostat housing and nothing but air. Bled and bled and bled. It took about 5 cycles of bleeding, running, venting, etc.

Once I got all the air out the engine runs right at 180 (I have a 180 thermostat), which is where I want it.

I bet you just need to get all the air out.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2010

Ditto on burping the system.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in