Universal 5432 Front Crank Shaft Seal Leaking - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2011 Thread Starter

Universal 5432 Front Crank Shaft Seal Leaking

Hi,

I have a Universal 5432 in my Mariner 36, that is leaking from the front crank shaft seal. The shat is spining the oil out all over the front of the engine. I can see a drip running down behind the pully. I'm thinking about pulling off the front case but don't know what I'm in for. I have look at the parts mamual but I can't see if the case will unbolt without distrubing the injector pump. Thank for your help. If you e-mail me I can send my office 800 # if you want to discuss this by phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2011

On most motors removing the timing cover will not allow you to change the front seal on the crank.I would double ck if that is the source.marc
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I look at the parts manual and the seal is in the front case. My concern is wehat i'mk getting into when I go to remove this front case. I can live with the leak if this is going to turn into a major job. I can't find a maitance manual that gives me any drawings of what is inside the case. Any ideas would be appreciated.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2011

You will basically have to remove the crankshaft pulley and the ancilliary equipment before removing the timing cover. The nut holding the pulley will be your biggest challenge. Using a impact wrench will help a lot if you can borrow one, then use a torque wrench to tighten agter replacing gaskets and seals.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2011 Thread Starter

Seal leaking

Thank You for your reply. I have several question that I hope you can answer. Rather than typing them out, I type with one finger, if you would prefer you can call me at my office in CA at 800 811-2009. I'm usually in from 10:00 - 6:00. Thanks again, looking forward to talking with you. George Sparr
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2011

Probably old hat by now, but there is a spacer/sleeve on the crankshaft behind the pulley, and I believe the seal rides on that spacer. There is also an o-ring behind the spacer which prevents oil from leaking out between the shaft and spacer. If this O-ring were to leak the oil would appear to be coming out from the shaft behind the pulley, or even from the nut side of the pulley. You will want to rule that out first, or just replace the O-ring with the seal to be sure.

It is theoretically possible to pull out the spacer without removing the cover, but you would have to get a grip on it without marring the surface on which the seal rides. The spacer is not all that tight and could probably be removed with just fingers. The pulley is tight and you will need a 2 bolt puller with the right metric bolts. there is a keyway in the pulley but not the spacer.

In fact, with the right hooks, and with the spacer removed, you could probably pull the seal without removing the cover.

If you pull the cover, its the governor springs you have to worry about. if you don't watch it you will stretch them and then have all kinds of problems getting the rpm to be stable. You can access both springs before the cover is lose, but its hard to unhook them. I think one accessible from the side cover plate below the injector pump and the other by removing the stop lever assembly from the top of the cover. Its even harder to hook the springs back up, and I have had better luck connecting at least one spring while the cover is not quite on yet.

The cover has a coolant passage or two around the water pump, so be sure to clean the old gasket off uniformly everywhere and check the surface near the coolant passages. they could be rather narrow from corrosion. a water leak there will not be immediately evident and would result in water in your crank case.

All the parts are Kubota, so you can get them at a tractor place online. 5432 might be the V1501 engine (L345?) but look it up because that is only a vague memory.

Disclaimer: I usually can't remember what I had for breakfast, so all of his may be wrong. In any case, start with the pulley and have a good look before you pull the case.

Also, how is your oil pressure? If the front seal is bad it might be because the front bearing is bad and the shaft is vibrating. Anyway, hope this helps someone BEFORE they re-power.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-21-2011 Thread Starter

Front seal leaking

Thank You for your reply. I found a mechanic who replaced the seal without removing the front case. Yes he did replace the front spacer. Leak is gone!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in