Yanmar 2QM15 - High pressure fuel pump not pumping - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2012 Thread Starter

Yanmar 2QM15 - High pressure fuel pump not pumping

Hello,

Wondering if anyone might have a thought on this. I've got a Yanmar 2QM15 from the early 80's. Its sat for about 2 decades unused, and the previous owner began a rebuild of it, before I got the boat.

I've got the engine reassembled, and it turns over great, great compression.

My lifter pump is working, and I've bled the engine as far as the high pressure pump. Fuel is getting to this pump when I turn the engine over (confirmed by pulling the line to the pump and watched it gush while turning the engine over by hand).

However nothing, not a drip, comes out the high pressure side. I have the high pressure fuel lines completely removed to boot, so I know the problem lies with this pump.

A coast guard mechanic friend donated his time and helped take apart and rebuild the pump, which had been seized. (Plungers were gummed up with old diesel; fuel control rack wouldn't even move.)

We reassembled and everything moves freely now, but I still don't get a drop of fuel out of the thing.

I've adjusted the injection limiter according to the manual, and even if we'd completely buggered up the control sleeves, I'd still expect to see SOMETHING out of the high pressure side of the pump.

Anyone familiar with these types of pumps? (Bosch integral type injection pump) Please someone just tell me I'm being stupid somehow, and there's a simple obvious solution!

Thanks,

-Adrian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2012

Re: Yanmar 2QM15 - High pressure fuel pump not pumping

Do you have the injection pump cover shimmed properly? Proper shim height is critical.

Are you sure you have the governor set up properly to engage the rack?

Doing a bench rebuild of this pump seems like a hit or miss proposition especially after setting for so long.

New pump from Yanmar dealer was 632 last year when I had a problem with a sticking rack due to corrosion. A lot of money but I was tired of the unreliability. It worked a charm.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2012
Banned

Perhaps a shop could re-build and re-calibrate it for you for less than $632?

Paul T

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think it is properly shimmed. We re-used the shim materials so that shouldn't have changed at all. I checked and rechecked what I'd done with the governor, referencing the manual. I'm reasonably certain that I've set it up properly, and it is engaging the rack.

$632 is not as bad as I'd feared for a new pump, however I think taking it to a shop would be a good subsequent step. If I can avoid the hundreds of dollars in expense, then I will.

I'll let you know what the end result is! Thanks,

-Adrian
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2012

Since you are getting plenty of fuel to the injection pump and nothing out with the lines to the injectors completely removed, there's definitely something wrong with injection pump. Taking it to have it rebuilt and calibrated makes sense.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2012

Disconnect the kill cable from the pump lever and make sure it is pushed
all the way to the run position.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-15-2013 Thread Starter

Figured I may as well update this. I had one of the yard guys come check out the engine to try to start it. He took all of about 15 minutes to start the engine, saying he was "Just finishing a job someone else started". So I suspect I just didn't turn the engine over enough to bleed out the high pressure fuel pump. Nothing else was changed or repaired while he was there. Surprisingly the bench rebuild of the pump went flawlessly.

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in