I guess I need to bring this thread to a close.
At the risk of posting a "tl/dr" entry, I'll try to be less verbose than usual.
So, when last we talked I had finished the rebuild and then put the engine in local storage awaiting a reunion with the boat.
The critical path for this to happen was:
1. Get the bilge prepped for new diesel tanks.
2. Get new tanks fabricated.
3. Install new tanks.
4. Get cabin sole and cabinets reinstalled.
5 Install engine.
I spent about six weeks up at the boat yard in the summer of 2015 working on step 1. I had mocked up the tanks with 1x2 lumber, and had to glass in several knees to support the new (a skosh smaller) tanks. Once I was satisfied that the mock ups were in fact going to do the trick, I headed home to FL in August 2015 to get the new tanks built. I had planned on a month for that to happen.
Yeah, about that... I finally got the call that the tanks were ready this past July. More on this later.
In the meantime, I got an email from the storage area that they had had a fire in our building, and that access would be suspended indefinitely. That concerned me a bit. I did a internet search and found some raw video footage
of the firefighting response, and I got really worried. The fire looked worse than expected, and was pretty much directly under our second floor storage unit. I feared the worst.
After about six weeks I got the OK to come up and recover whatever I could. Upon arrival I found we'd had a lot of smoke and water in the unit, but no actual fire. The cardboard boxes were trashed, a couple of plastic totes were a little warped, but all in all we were OK. Even the settee cushions and the qtr berth mattress eventually came clean. Took the engine home and ran it again just to make sure all was still good to go.
Fast forward to July 2016. After picking up the new tanks, I got back to work on the boat. We splashed last week. Had to run home to FL to drop off the SUV and my trailer/workshop. Brought the crew back up, turned in the rental car, and began final prep for departure. I've run the engine several times since then, and other than having to replace the oil pressure gauge sending unit everything's copacetic.