Changing Oil -- Universal 5424 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 01-06-2013

Re: Changing Oil -- Universal 5424

I have the same problem, due to slanting of the main engine. There is always a couple of quarts remaining. Pulling oil out of the dipstick tube on the genset, seems to get every drop.

I have been very reluctant to install a permanent drain tube kit on the plug at the bottom of the pan, but I'm tempted. It just seems like a nervous point of failure that could put all the oil into the bilge while underway. Maybe I'm over reacting.

However, I've recently read in Volvo literature that the turbo is very susceptible to problems from dirty engine oil and I'm having problems. I think I need a better way to get it all out and be able to do so more often.

Anyone have any other suggestions for a way to get it all out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 01-06-2013
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Well now that you say that MS I may have to wait at least until I try the one on the engine first!

Funny you mention the age of the engine, that is insane, looks better than new!
Don't get me wrong, they work. They are just extremely slow and never seem to be in a location where pumping it is easy. They are usually good for a shoulder cramp and require LOTS more pumping that the Moeller...

As opposed to creating a "vacuum" that does the sucking, you are actually pumping the oil with each stroke.. A nice selling feature just not the best or easiest to use...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-06-2013

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Don't get me wrong, they work. They are just extremely slow and never seem to be in a location where pumping it is easy. They are usually good for a shoulder cramp and require LOTS more pumping that the Moeller...

As opposed to creating a "vacuum" that does the sucking, you are actually pumping the oil with each stroke.. A nice selling feature just not the best or easiest to use...
Thanks RC...now he wont sell me his Moeller.....

Hope you guys are weathering the winter so far. We have gotten away with nothing here yet, while you guys have had a few northern storms swipe you.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #14 of 14 Old 01-06-2013

I just ordered a Moeller at the end of this past season. I had been using one of those electric units from WM. The oil containment unit was large and very easy to manage, but the electric motor was slow and it was a needless nuisance to run the wiring to a start batt.

I recall the day that I bought the electric unit. We stopped for lunch, had a couple of beers, needed something useful at WM and made the additional impulse buy of this contraption. Alcohol...... the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.......
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
diesel engine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in