Battery choices for offshore use - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Battery choices for offshore use

I have the day off today, so I took two of the wet cell Deka's (the worse of the two) to a battery distributor (a company called Safe Start over in St Pete) and they think since they are fairly new they might still take a charge, but suggested a long over night charge, then drain them down to 50%, recharge, possibly up to 4 or 5 times to see if they'll "freshen" up. The electrolyte is clear in both batteries (no floaties) and the spec. gravity is about the same in all 6 cells between the two. We'll see..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 08-03-2015

You might get them to perform again, but never to their spec'd level. If that's good enough then great. However, you've most certainly shortened their useful life too and that could jump and bite at the wrong time. Just some food for thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 37 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

Yep- this is a temporary measure to appease my sweetie since I just ordered >$400 worth of stuff (new Sterling 30 amp charger and a Victron battery monitor). I have to piece things out or she won't let me buy that new genoa I've been wanting. I like your idea of the gels and discovered that battery distributor above sells Trojan's. The group 31's go for about $375 each, so I'm rethinking my battery bank size and wondering if I could get away with just two of those and carry a cheaper backup AGM (lighter, smaller capacity). If the Deka's refuse to come back at an acceptable rate, I'll beg to move the gel purchase up sooner!

post #24 of 37 Old 08-03-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Not neglected means fully charged at least once a week.
I'm looking at replacing my batteries soon too. So if AGM is staying charged by a solar panel or two, it should be good?

My boat is on a trailer away from commercial power source. I'm looking at getting a couple Group 31's for my house bank and adding one or two of those Renology bendable 100w panels to keep everything topped up. Just not sure which charge controller to go with at the moment. Still in planning stages.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #25 of 37 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

As long as you get a good mppt controller, the 100w panel Renogy makes should be able to both recharge and keep them topped up. I bought the Genasun gv-10, which I believe is rated up to 140 watts and cost about $100.
seaner97 and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irunbird For This Useful Post:
Rhapsody-NS27 (08-03-2015)
post #26 of 37 Old 08-03-2015
bell ringer

[QUOTE=Irunbird;2939945 So- would you have any suggestions for a brand (there is a US Battery distributor a little over an hour away in Kissimmee) or should I just stick with ye olde wet cells and figure out how to seal them in a box and never let them out of my sight again?[/QUOTE]

Like most you are worrying too much about something that is pretty inexpensive in the big picture. You killed you batteries due to neglect. Re[place them with the same batteries and even if you neglect them and have to re[lace in 2 years in cost you around $200/yr. But you take reasonable care of them they are going to last probably at least 4 years and cost $100/yr.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #27 of 37 Old 08-03-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
As long as you get a good mppt controller, the 100w panel Renogy makes should be able to both recharge and keep them topped up. I bought the Genasun gv-10, which I believe is rated up to 140 watts and cost about $100.
+1 on the Genasun.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #28 of 37 Old 08-06-2015

Firefly Oasis Battery - Carbon Foam AGM
Looked in to it but decided to go Lifeline AGM 6 volt. price on Firefly is three times higher after shipping. AGM can be had local. Only come in one size and they take up to much space per Amp hour. they say they will pay off in the long run but if you do one little thing wrong and kill them it will be real expensive. don't think they know all the ways to kill them yet. I have better knowledge on how not to Kill AGM's. don't want to hear " oh didn't we tell you not to do that".

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #29 of 37 Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks, Overboard- I just checked into the Firefly's here too, and after shipping comes to about $1000 for two group 31 batteries.. I'll look into the Lifelines and see what would work. The more I've been thinking about this, the more I'm tending to lean toward AGM rather than gel.. I've got a new charger that should keep me on a better maintenance schedule with these things.
post #30 of 37 Old 08-06-2015

these guys have some of the best prices anywhere Lifeline AGM Marine Battery in San Diego-(619)448-5323 Jeff the owner knows his stuff. very close to me but you could us the prices to compare a good deal to

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in