Cheap Tesla battery modules now available - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 04-01-2016

Re: Cheap Tesla battery modules now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
With all the stories of lithium battery fires over the past months, I am not in a hurry to put them on my boat. You can jump out of a burning car or away from a flaming laptop but on a boat?

I'll wait a while longer before trying them in a critical situation thanks.
Lithium banks like those made by Tesla seem to be pretty bullet proof with each cell fused so a short will not take down the whole battery bank. As this video shows they are also pretty rugged. A few Electric Vehicle guys tried to take one apart without much success:
https://youtu.be/lZzoxRCxZ_8?t=2m3s
Of course someone who home brews their pack without proper fusing may be asking for trouble.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 04-01-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
With all the stories of lithium battery fires over the past months, I am not in a hurry to put them on my boat. You can jump out of a burning car or away from a flaming laptop but on a boat?

I'll wait a while longer before trying them in a critical situation thanks.
Statistically, you are 5 times less likely to be in a fire in a Tesla than in a gasoline powered car. Their battery packs are designed to take a LOT of punishment.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
Lithium Batteries have limited Shelf Life from Date of Manufacture, even unused. The _original_ Li Battery on my backup-to-the-backup Powerbook G4 just died after ~8 years, even though it was plugged in to the Charger 99% of the time.
Note that I was only getting two years out of the Lead-Acid batteries in my old Powerbook 100, and when those Batteries died, they had a nasty tendency of taking out the fuse on the Motherboard. So things have improved.

Or ~850 hours out of a 100 watt Solar Panel= ~110 days, assuming good conversion efficiencies and ~8 hours of Sunlight a day. Say three months in reality to recharge, assuming no other Electrical load.
That's the energy content of ~2 Gallons of Diesel Fuel... and by now some wheels should be spinning...

Diesel Fuel Cells!
Diesel-Powered Fuel Cell Produces Clean Electricity - IEEE Spectrum
(Generating Diesel Fuel on the run is difficult, unless one does a fair amount of deep-fat frying with vegetable oils.)

The _only_ reason that Electric Cars on the road, like the Tesla, makes sense now is that the Charging Infrastructure mostly already exists. (Formula E is making inroads in off-road Motorsports, and I think that it's really cool. Still, only a handful of Tracks are equipped so far.)
Such Infrastructure does _not_ exist for Sailboats, and it is very unlikely, given the diminishing market, that it ever will.

ČErindipity
now those look cool! All sorts of applications for them.

post #24 of 26 Old 04-01-2016
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
Statistically, you are 5 times less likely to be in a fire in a Tesla than in a gasoline powered car. Their battery packs are designed to take a LOT of punishment.
Not much of a statistic when there is only a relative handful of Teslas out there.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 04-17-2016 at 12:45 AM.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-01-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Not much of a statistic when there are only a relative handful of Teslas out there.
True, but there are millions of hybrids now that run on lithium batteries, and there still aren't that many fires.
post #26 of 26 Old 04-02-2016

If the choice is lithium batteries vs gasoline for risk of fire. Gasoline seems like a much bigger risk. Gasoline is just one we are all familiar with where batteries are not.
mbianka likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in