Stereo install question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-01-2018 Thread Starter

Stereo install question

Deciding it was time to swap out the old Jenson am/fm, cassette stereo with something from this century, I bought a function loaded Sony from West Marine.

The Jenson was powered by 3 wires (red, black and yellow) but the Sony has an additional orange-white striped wire. Since the orange-white wire is positive, Iím thinking I could simply marry the unitís positive red and the positive orange-white wires to the boats positive red wire instead of running a new wire from the circuit breakers back to the stereo. Would I be correct in this approach or is this ill-advised?

Also, the Sony has a bayonet style 10 amp fuse in the back of the unit but the Jenson fuses were the wires leading into it. The red has a 3 amp fuse and the yellow has a 1 amp fuse, both glass cylinder types. These fuses now seem unnecessary since the new unit is already fused at higher amps. I am all for safety but keeping the fuses on the wires seems like having suspenders and a belt for pants with a draw string. Should I keep the fuses or would it be ok to remove them?

BTW, when I asked the Sony help chat line about this they said to ask someone else. Not so great customer care and product support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-01-2018

Re: Stereo install question

Believe the orange is illumination, from the dash light dimmer if I remember from my truck install.
The stereo should have come with some kind of schematic, never seen one that didn't. I really don't knw if there is a standard for wire colour with automitive stuff.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-01-2018

The fuses at the power source are to protect the wires not the unit. The fuse on the unit is to protect the unit itself and will not protect the wires. if the wire shorts out and there is no fuse at the power source you could have a fire. If the new unit requires more power you need to make sure the wires are big enough and fused for the size of wire used.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 10 Old 03-01-2018

You really should have some instructions or tabs affixed to the wires but I think that one of those wires( yellow or orange) should go straight to the battery to keep the clock working when the power is turned off...fused of course.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-02-2018

Sorry to ask such an obvious question, but what does the manual say the orange/where wire is for?

Fuses are to protect wires. The fuses can be removed , providing that the 10A fuse is a lower rating than the wires.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #6 of 10 Old 03-02-2018

there is a 12v+ wire which powers the illumination of the display and the clock. GT and a 12v+ wire for the unit itself.

You should wire the clock/illumination wire to a ALWAYS ON buss which is wire directly to the house battery. This is a very small load... however it can and will drain your battery if you don't recharge it with alternator or alternative charging sources.

You should wire you stereo unit to a switch w/ breaker to the main distribution panel which is wired to the main house battery switch.

In line fuses are fine... You might change all your boat's inline fuses to the blade type... easy to identify by their color.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 10 Old 03-02-2018

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Some of those wires should be switched, some not, One may be for the clock and memory, which should be unswitched, unit power, lighting and antenna should be switched. Usually the antenna wire is power out, which is to say when the radio switch is turned on the wire sends power to the antenna. you may not want to hook that one to a hot lead.
I have been able to find wiring diagrams for older radios on line, I would do a careful internet search. Or, connect each wire separately and see what lights up.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-02-2018

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/selec...l?PRODTYPE=117

Try this!

Last edited by lillia28; 03-02-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: correction
post #9 of 10 Old 03-02-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingtime View Post
Deciding it was time to swap out the old Jenson am/fm, cassette stereo with something from this century, I bought a function loaded Sony from West Marine.

The Jenson was powered by 3 wires (red, black and yellow) but the Sony has an additional orange-white striped wire. Since the orange-white wire is positive, I’m thinking I could simply marry the unit’s positive red and the positive orange-white wires to the boats positive red wire instead of running a new wire from the circuit breakers back to the stereo. Would I be correct in this approach or is this ill-advised?

Also, the Sony has a bayonet style 10 amp fuse in the back of the unit but the Jenson fuses were the wires leading into it. The red has a 3 amp fuse and the yellow has a 1 amp fuse, both glass cylinder types. These fuses now seem unnecessary since the new unit is already fused at higher amps. I am all for safety but keeping the fuses on the wires seems like having suspenders and a belt for pants with a draw string. Should I keep the fuses or would it be ok to remove them?

BTW, when I asked the Sony help chat line about this they said to ask someone else. Not so great customer care and product support.
Yellow = Stereo B+ or your high-current power wire & and memory
Red = Switched ignition feed usually to the breaker labeled "stereo"
Black = negative
Orange/White Stripe = Dash dimmer so the stereo can dim with the dash lights

A lot of folks think the red wire is what "powers" the unit and this is not correct. The yellow wire is where the head unit power is fed from. Red is just the ignition or switch trigger to activate the unit. The yellow wire fuse should be larger than the red wire fuse.

It would help to know what head unit you have...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-03-2018

In older stereos, a couple of decades ago, it was common for the switched feed to be high current, and the permanent one to be low. Modern ones have the reverse. That means installing a new stereo with old wiring will result in drawing too much current down a wire and/or fuse that wasn't meant to supply 10A.

Just had the same problem installing a new stereo in my 86 XJS. The 1A inline fuse in the continuous feed is hard to find, tucked away under the console. Fortunately the wire itself is heavy enough to take 10A.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in