Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea - Page 20 - SailNet Community
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 282 Old 04-12-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Canuck-
" I just need a semi-clever way to connect the engine mains to the bus bar for the pack."
Easy. Get to a city where they have theatrical performances, or outdoor "sound and light" shows, and find a theatrical lighting supply house. Theatrical lighting uses heavy plugs, a hundred amps at 220 volts is a rounding error for them. Any professional electrical supply house should be able to turn up the same type of plugs. Some are twist-lock, some simply plug together, your choice. Won't be cheap--but they are doing the job every day.

Boatsurgeon-
I don't argue that the ABYC standards are often a good guide. But. If anyone is interested in boating safety, or electrical safety, ABYC is a poor excuse. They are a trade group, not regulators, and their standards are only OPTIONALLY accepted and required by various trade group members, boat builders, and insurers, correct?
I'd call that a trade guild, and their real purpose is...to fund themselves.

I know it costs money to develop and publish standards, but since the average Joe has to ante up what, six hundred bucks? To get the ABYC standards? That ain't happening, and anyone who says "Oh, well, you just have to pay that much to learn how to do it safely" is preaching to an odd choir.

There has to be a reasonably priced (let's say, fifty bucks like any good hardcover these days, or better yet, free online like the IRS rules and so much else) set of standards to follow. And if I can't buy them for less, I'll expect my library to have a reference copy that I can use. So, nothing personal, but helix the ABYC, there are so many good books written by so many good authors. When the ABYC shows some interest in promoting boating safety rather than being a private club (just like Mar-y-Largo, sure, anyone can buy in) let us know.
Heck, even the US Army and Navy used to make all of their technical training manuals available cheap from the GPO and free online. And the USN knows how to make a point. They used to have some rather blunt photos online, in their DC power training, that showed a sailor's hand, with his ring finger traumatically amputated. Yeah, his wedding ring grounded a wrench that was on a battery terminal. He wasn't following USN standards. And they don't follow ABYC.(G)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 282 Old 04-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I've never done fiberglass anything before, so with any luck I won't **** it up too badly. Getting it into place and screwed down might be another question entirely...

Sailing. It's not just a crapton of work, it's an adventure!
You might want to browse the videos of http://boatworkstoday.com

He explains how to do fiberglass work very well. He makes it look easy and has a couple of videos that explain how to do a project that is close enough to what you need.

Also, have you thought of using some of the premade board to make boxes.
Cut the pieces and epoxy them together.

https://www.mcmaster.com/fiberglass
Structural FRP Fiberglass Sheets, Bars, and Strips

An alternative to wood in structural applications, these FRP fiberglass sheets, bars, and strips are strong and lightweight. They're made of fiberglass-reinforced polyester.

The even have chemical resistant options.

it is very expensive but so is everything.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #193 of 282 Old 04-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Canuck-
" I just need a semi-clever way to connect the engine mains to the bus bar for the pack."
Easy. Get to a city where they have theatrical performances, or outdoor "sound and light" shows, and find a theatrical lighting supply house. Theatrical lighting uses heavy plugs, a hundred amps at 220 volts is a rounding error for them. Any professional electrical supply house should be able to turn up the same type of plugs. Some are twist-lock, some simply plug together, your choice. Won't be cheap--but they are doing the job every day.
(G)
I've already solved this problem, but thanks for the input! Due to the design requirements of the battery box, I'm using stainless 5/16" through posts, marked red and black. The batteries will be wired in parallel to the posts, and the posts run directly to the controller via 00-105C rated cables. The box itself will be fiberglass and have a triple-spiral vent, but be otherwise waterproof and sealed.

post #194 of 282 Old 04-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
You might want to browse the videos of http://boatworkstoday.com

He explains how to do fiberglass work very well. He makes it look easy and has a couple of videos that explain how to do a project that is close enough to what you need.

Also, have you thought of using some of the premade board to make boxes.
Cut the pieces and epoxy them together.

https://www.mcmaster.com/fiberglass
Structural FRP Fiberglass Sheets, Bars, and Strips

An alternative to wood in structural applications, these FRP fiberglass sheets, bars, and strips are strong and lightweight. They're made of fiberglass-reinforced polyester.

The even have chemical resistant options.

it is very expensive but so is everything.
I'm using marine grade ply for the box. This was the most cost-effective option. The fiberglass materials came out to about $200 total, but I will have quite a bit left over for future work.

The videos were helpful. Thanks!
davidpm likes this.
post #195 of 282 Old 04-15-2019 Thread Starter

Update 4/15/2019

Bad weather prevented most of the work I wanted to do this weekend.

I did manage to replace the swimming ladder shoes and fix the prop end nut, and help a sailing buddy install his solar panels.

Unfortunately, I'm away for the next week, so I won't get much done until I get back. Hopefully the weather will hold and I'll be able to get one coat of bottom paint on before I leave.

Work is seriously interfering with my boat prep right now.
post #196 of 282 Old 04-29-2019 Thread Starter

Update 4/29/2019

Sickness and a busy weekend kept me from doing much since the last update.

The sanding is finished and the first coat of bottom paint is on. The battery box construction has started. I'll be fitting the box today. If it fits well, I'll start the glassing process this week.

I hope to get the new helm faceplate done and installed this week.

With any luck, I'lll have Khaleesea back in the water in a week or two to start trials with the new motor.
post #197 of 282 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter

Update 5/6/2019

Paint is finished.
Battery box is partially glassed.
Diesel tank is removed. I gave the diesel to a nice couple of guys who are from Peru, about to make the trek across the North Atlantic.

I have to move the waste tank over about 4" to fit the battery box without cutting the bulkhead. Its just strapped in, so this shouldn't be too much trouble.

Faceplate should be done this week.

Since I'm removing the majority of the AC wiring anyway, I'm converting the boat to a smartplug to replace the original twist-lock shore power connection.

Last piece of the BMS arrives on Wed, so I hope to have the battery box set up and installed this weekend. That's the last piece. Once that's in place Khaleesea will be ready to drop in the water for testing.

Last edited by Captain Canuck; 05-06-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #198 of 282 Old 05-06-2019

How about some pictures?
post #199 of 282 Old 05-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
How about some pictures?
When I install the batteries, I'll post pictures of the entire setup.

Unfortunately, it looks like this weekend is going to be rainy, so I may not get much accomplished in he next few days.
post #200 of 282 Old 05-09-2019 Thread Starter

Last remaining tasks:

Move waste tank to make room for battery box
Install battery box
Install new helm plate w/key
Remove old decal and install new one
Test, test, and retest, verify all systems work as designed
Replace all bulkheads
Clean everything
Launch!
In-water testing: speed, power, distance, regeneration, etc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in