Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea - Page 27 - SailNet Community
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 282 Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlan View Post
My boat at the lake is running off of non-isolated dc converters from the 24v propulsion bank. The E29 I am refitting, I plan on running house loads off of isolated "stackable" dc converters, but also putting a couple ~55ish ah floated lead acids (located close to the loads) in to run electric primary winches and the windlass. I don't want to put inductive surging loads like that on converters, and certainly not on the same bus feeding radios/electronics.

You should totally hook us up with more pictures of your install and maybe a video of it running. What BMS did you go with again?

Thanks,
Sean
WK7R
The unit I've been looking at is the Orion 48-12 by Victron.

https://www.thepowerstore.com/orion-...converter.html

I don't have anything that generates any sort of heavy electric draw. My biggest draw is the cold machine, with draws a whopping 6A when running. All my electronics combined draws all of 1A. Even once I get the autopilot running, I doubt my max draw will crack 10A.

Good idea putting a lead acid near your winches and windlass. You might even be able to find a lithium battery that would be even smaller and lighter.

I normally sail solo these days, but next time I take someone else out I'll get some images of the system running. For some reason, people frown upon leaving your boat running with no one at the helm.

The BMS I use is the dilitihium BMS. It fits perfectly with my batteries and is easily expandable.

Last edited by Captain Canuck; 07-09-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 282 Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I have an detent position on my EP control for Regen. Though I usually adjust the control for about a 10 amp draw to turn the prop slightly and eliminate prop drag. It also automatically starts to regen as the wind picks up.

I kept my 12 volt house bank separate from my EP battery bank. Don't like having all the eggs in one basket. Though I do have a 48 volt to 12 volt converter available as a backup.
I like the detent idea. Not sure how I'll implement it, but it's definitely worth looking at.

I think my propulsion bank is wired differently than yours is. I'm running 4 parallel batteries, so if I lose on I only lose that much capacity. This is why I like the stackable converters, too - if I'm running two and one fails, as long as my draw isn't more than one can handle there's no problem. As I often say in my day job, "There's no such thing as too much redundancy."
mbianka likes this.
post #263 of 282 Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter

Update 7/9/2019

I managed to find some wind yesterday and retest regen, to a point.

The system starts regenerating, barely, at 3.5kts. These are estimations, because regen varies wildly according to my ammeter, with wider swings the faster I go. These numbers represent the average.

3.5kts <.5A
4kts ~1A
5kts ~3A
5.5kts ~4A
6kts ~5Aish - this was very hard to tell, since I couldn't maintain 6kts for any amount of time.

Assuming I can maintain 5kts, that gives me a kwh every 6.5 hours from regen. This isn't enough to make a meaningful dent in the propulsion bank, but it is enough to run all the electronics, once I've moved to a DC/DC converter. Expecting to move at 6kts on the regular on the Chesapeake is unrealistic. In the last 5 years of sailing I doubt I've hit 6 kts steady no more than a few times. One time I hit 7 kts steady, but I was going like a bat out of hell on a broad reach in heavy swells trying to get back into my harbor before a storm hit. I made it. Just.

If I want meaningful amperage to recharge the propulsion bank while sailing, solar is looking like the way to go.
mbianka likes this.

Last edited by Captain Canuck; 07-09-2019 at 11:03 AM.

post #264 of 282 Old 07-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
The unit I've been looking at is the Orion 48-12 by Victron.

https://www.thepowerstore.com/orion-...converter.html

I don't have anything that generates any sort of heavy electric draw. My biggest draw is the cold machine, with draws a whopping 6A when running. All my electronics combined draws all of 1A. Even once I get the autopilot running, I doubt my max draw will crack 10A.
I have a 24v battery bank to run my electric motor, and I use the Victron 24-12 converter to power my house load. It works quite well. It puts out a consistent 12.5v regardless of what voltage the main bank is at.

My highest load is a 12v electric drill. If itís really bearing down it will drop the house voltage, so I agree with Texlanís idea to have a separate power supply for hungry electric motors. But it keeps up with the rest of my loads no problem. Small boat, though, so small loads. Max would be a small fan, stereo, chartplotter, lights, and maybe recharging a phone.

My motor (Minn Kota trolling motor) is 50 amps and 24 volts, and I canít quite make 4 knots with that. Considering my boat is a quarter the weight of yours Iím clearly not running as efficiently. I wonder if a different prop would make a difference.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #265 of 282 Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I have a 24v battery bank to run my electric motor, and I use the Victron 24-12 converter to power my house load. It works quite well. It puts out a consistent 12.5v regardless of what voltage the main bank is at.

My highest load is a 12v electric drill. If itís really bearing down it will drop the house voltage, so I agree with Texlanís idea to have a separate power supply for hungry electric motors. But it keeps up with the rest of my loads no problem. Small boat, though, so small loads. Max would be a small fan, stereo, chartplotter, lights, and maybe recharging a phone.

My motor (Minn Kota trolling motor) is 50 amps and 24 volts, and I canít quite make 4 knots with that. Considering my boat is a quarter the weight of yours Iím clearly not running as efficiently. I wonder if a different prop would make a difference.
I'm glad to hear the Victron works well. That cements my thoughts on buying one.

The Minn Kota trolling motor is probably using a prop that's most efficient at 50-60% power. If you're running at at 100% to hit 4kts, you're definitely not getting maximum efficiency. I'm not familiar with the Minn Kota line, but they might have a prop from a bigger motor that would turn more efficiently at full power. At least you're using a pod motor with a direct-drive shaft, which is as efficient as it gets.
Minnesail likes this.
post #266 of 282 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Update 7/15/2019

The *&(#$& ammeter broke. I'm now searching for a new one. When I turned the power on for the boat I almost had a heart attack looking at the display. Then I realized that the level of power output it's displaying is literally impossible for the battery bank. 297kW of current out of a 9kWh battery? That's capacitor-level discharge. Even when I put the boat into forward and stared the prop spinning the display didn't change. Obviously the sensor is fried. I checked he voltage manually and it came back at 50.4V, which is precisely where it should be.

I really expected the ammeter to last a little longer than two months, even though it wasn't built for marine use. I was hoping to get a season out of it and replace it when I'm back on the hard with something a little more permanent.

I installed a 48-12V converter and removed all but one of my house bank batteries (never hurts to have a backup). It easily runs everything on the boat. I left my fridge on for days to test it, and the drinks were nice and frosty each time I checked on it, even though it cracked 100F one day.

If anyone has a line on a waterproof DC 48V ammeter display that shows amps, volts, and kwh, I would very much like to hear from you. Nothing on Amazon seems to be waterproof.
Attached Thumbnails
58465459350__D86C3F36-AB17-4E42-96F4-D37BE26BB30B.JPG  
post #267 of 282 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Update 7/15/2019

If anyone has a line on a waterproof DC 48V ammeter display that shows amps, volts, and kwh, I would very much like to hear from you. Nothing on Amazon seems to be waterproof.
Not sure if it's waterproof or show kwh. But I've been using an TBS Expert Pro Hv without problems for years for my Thosa 9000 EP system. https://tbs-electronics.com/product/...nitor-12v-24v/

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #268 of 282 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:

How about waterproofing whatever you can find.

Corrosion X HD, Turbo-coat, and NeverWet

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #269 of 282 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Not sure if it's waterproof or show kwh. But I've been using an TBS Expert Pro Hv without problems for years for my Thosa 9000 EP system. https://tbs-electronics.com/product/...nitor-12v-24v/
I really liked the unit I found. I'd like something similar that gives me the same but in a more waterproof package.

I prefer seeing voltage rather than a battery gauge. That way I can tell if something cuts out before or after it should.
post #270 of 282 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
I really liked the unit I found. I'd like something similar that gives me the same but in a more waterproof package.

I prefer seeing voltage rather than a battery gauge. That way I can tell if something cuts out before or after it should.
As it turns out, it was the sensor package that was inside the boat, not the display, that went belly up. The sensor portion is sealed, so I can only guess that it was badly manufactured. The control board is still OK, but for some reason the actual sensors went crazy. Maybe I can get a replacement board and just swap it out for cheap.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in