Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea - Page 28 - SailNet Community
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 283 Old 07-22-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Update 7/22/2019

Replaced the broken ammeter with the same unit again, though much more carefully installed. This time I made a little frame for it out of teak veneer plywood.

Why? Because Thunderstruck has a much better solution coming. I'll have to send the controller in to get reprogrammed, so it will have to wait until the off season.

Their solution translates the CANBus info into an OBDII output, then transmits it via bluetooth to the device of my choosing. That means I'll get everything the ammeter is giving me, plus RPM, temp, and a host of other outputs, all relayed to the device of my choosing. I have both an iPhone 4 and an old tablet I can use for exactly this sort of thing.

For the time being I'll muddle through with the unit I've got.
Attached Thumbnails
58550123751__9DE6BA6B-CB1D-4191-BE03-E8943B910345.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 283 Old 07-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I really liked the unit I found. I'd like something similar that gives me the same but in a more waterproof package.

I prefer seeing voltage rather than a battery gauge. That way I can tell if something cuts out before or after it should.
The unit I have reads pack voltage, percent and amp hours used. I use it mainly for state of charge info. For more immediate info I built a waterproof battery monitoring station at the helm. It monitors each individual battery as well as pack voltage and current.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: INSTRUMENTATION PROJECT PART FIVE: Panel Mounting
Came in handy last season when one of the batteries began failing.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 283 Old 07-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
The unit I have reads pack voltage, percent and amp hours used. I use it mainly for state of charge info. For more immediate info I built a waterproof battery monitoring station at the helm. It monitors each individual battery as well as pack voltage and current.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: INSTRUMENTATION PROJECT PART FIVE: Panel Mounting
Came in handy last season when one of the batteries began failing.
Cool. Looks like a good setup for your system.

It would be nice to set up something like that for me, but at least the ammeter tells me what the pack voltage is, and I check the BMS from time to time. I expect the battery bank to last at least 10 years, assuming I don't swap it out with a better one first. Considering how quickly battery technology is advancing, I expect I'll we replacing them with something better long before the pack dies.
mbianka likes this.

post #274 of 283 Old 07-27-2019

Loving this thread, we will be starting a conversion from ICE to EP just after the first of the year on our 44 catamaran. There is a lot of planning and engineering that goes into it and all your sharing of info is greatly appreciated.
post #275 of 283 Old 07-29-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenamy View Post
Loving this thread, we will be starting a conversion from ICE to EP just after the first of the year on our 44 catamaran. There is a lot of planning and engineering that goes into it and all your sharing of info is greatly appreciated.
If you have any specific questions, please let me know. I did several year's worth of research before starting the project, including:

The physics of electricity
Hydrodynamics
Propeller theory and operation
Power losses, where they occur, and why
DC vs AC, pros and cons of each
Redundancy in electrical systems
Emergency situations unique to EP and how to handle them

...etc.

I went pretty deep. I've always found that I can engineer something better when I fully understand all the underlying physics.

If you're interested, we can discuss your ideas for you cat. There are a number of way to implement an EP system.
post #276 of 283 Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
If you have any specific questions, please let me know. I did several year's worth of research before starting the project, including:

The physics of electricity
Hydrodynamics
Propeller theory and operation
Power losses, where they occur, and why
DC vs AC, pros and cons of each
Redundancy in electrical systems
Emergency situations unique to EP and how to handle them

...etc.

I went pretty deep. I've always found that I can engineer something better when I fully understand all the underlying physics.

If you're interested, we can discuss your ideas for you cat. There are a number of way to implement an EP system.

Thanks Capt

I will be talking with Thunderstruck this afternoon more so just to pick their brain on the project. I most definitely would like to converse with you in the future. I am heading back to Alaska in a couple of days as I spend August-September as a hunting guide for dall sheep, moose and grizzly bear, so my boat planning will be put on hold until mid-late October.

I look forward to reading about the progress of your project and learning as much as I can from you this fall.

Good luck with your project and I will reach out to you when I return from the bush.

Cheers
post #277 of 283 Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenamy View Post
Thanks Capt

I will be talking with Thunderstruck this afternoon more so just to pick their brain on the project. I most definitely would like to converse with you in the future. I am heading back to Alaska in a couple of days as I spend August-September as a hunting guide for dall sheep, moose and grizzly bear, so my boat planning will be put on hold until mid-late October.

I look forward to reading about the progress of your project and learning as much as I can from you this fall.

Good luck with your project and I will reach out to you when I return from the bush.

Cheers
I went with a Thunderstruck kit. Their installation instructions, especially for the gear reducer, were not well written. My personal favorite part was "attach the hub to the motor using the nuts provided." That was a 6 step process that required an open ended 4mm wrench, and should have had a couple of measurements to tell you if you did it right or not. I tried to offer them my services as a technical writer to rewrite their documentation so a 12 year old could read it, but they declined.

My uncles used to hunt moose. Ill tempered bastards. That applies both to the moose and my uncles.

If you're in or around Annapolis, MD, I'd be happy to take you for a ride on Khaleesea and point out the good, the bad and the ugly.
post #278 of 283 Old 08-07-2019 Thread Starter

Update 8/7/2019

I *finally* had a good enough day to get Khaleesea up to hull speed under sail.

The regeneration results surprised me.

7kts ~15A (!!)
6.5kts ~10A
6kts ~7A
5kts ~3A

Basically, as long as I'm going 5kts, I'm generating more electricity than I'm using even with everything turned on (all lights, instruments, fridge, etc.).

At 7kts, I'm getting significant regeneration. This bodes very, very well for my eventual catamaran conversion. If I can make passage under sail at 7kts, with two electric props, that gives me a constant 1500W of power generation. To put that in perspective, a 16000BTU marine air conditioner uses ~1100W when running, so you could both run that level of AC and still have some left over to charge the house/propulsion bank.

I'll be taking Khaleesea out again the next time we have strong winds to confirm this.
Minnesail likes this.
post #279 of 283 Old 08-08-2019

Quote:
Update 8/7/2019

I *finally* had a good enough day to get Khaleesea up to hull speed under sail.

The regeneration results surprised me.

7kts ~15A (!!)

6.5kts ~10A

6kts ~7A

5kts ~3A

Basically, as long as I'm going 5kts, I'm generating more electricity than I'm using even with everything turned on (all lights, instruments, fridge, etc.)..
Congrats on the amps produced. However, are you sure all those listed only draw 3 amps? My fridge alone draws 6 amps and its on about half of the time.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
post #280 of 283 Old 08-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Congrats on the amps produced. However, are you sure all those listed only draw 3 amps? My fridge alone draws 6 amps and its on about half of the time.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
He might be talking 3 amps at 48 volts.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in