Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 254 Old 11-14-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

System Design update.

While I'm waiting to get the motor sold (I have a couple of people interested ATM) I've been designing my system.

I'm going to go with the Motenergy 1115 motor. It has a continuous output of 12kW (16hp) and a max output of 30kW (40hp). Yes, it's overkill, but better over than under. The motor achieves 92% efficiency at ~4500 rpm. I chose this motor because it can do close to hull speed within the continual-use rating.

My prop guy has two potential props:

One is a 14x12 3 blade with a 5 point cup. My math tells me I'll need about 1000rpm for cruising speed and about 1300 for hull speed. That means a 3:1 gear reducer.

The other is a 16x16 3 blade with no cup. My math says that I'll need about 800 rpm for cruising and about 1100 rpm for hull speed, but this one is a 1 1/4" shaft so I'd need a bushing. That means a 4:1 gear reducer.

I'm currently leaning towards a Sevcon controller. I'm still weighing my options there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 254 Old 11-14-2018

I've had good luck with my Sevcon controller. If you go this route consider getting a Clearview display. It's nice knowing what's going on with motor.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #23 of 254 Old 11-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I've had good luck with my Sevcon controller. If you go this route consider getting a Clearview display. It's nice knowing what's going on with motor.
The display is definitely a point in Sevcon's favor. How easy is the Sevcon to program? I'm probably going to have to customize it a fair bit.

post #24 of 254 Old 11-15-2018

My Sevcon came programmed so I have no idea how to program it out of the box. The only change I made was the forward, reverse on the display. Thunderstruck emailed me the directions. That's all I know.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #25 of 254 Old 12-30-2018 Thread Starter

Happy holidays, everybody!

I sold the Yanmar today. Extraction will be as soon as I can arrange it. The gentleman was excited to be able to repower his 70's era sailboat relatively cheaply. I was equally excited to have a serious buyer.

Weather permitting, tomorrow I will start the disassembling process, taking out all the dials, gauges, shifter, etc. Basically everything I can do to help the mechanics get the motor out.

As soon as the motor is out, I'm purchasing the base components for the conversion. Once I've bench-tested all the parts, I'll put Khaleesea up on the hard and start the install.

I'm considering expanding the engine compartment to fit more batteries in. There's room on top of it where I can replace the existing steps to make a bigger space for batteries. Ideally, I'll be able to fit the entire system into that space. We shall see. The worst thing that will happen is that I can't, and I put the batteries on either side of the boat where the house batteries are now.
post #26 of 254 Old 12-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
Happy holidays, everybody!

I sold the Yanmar today. Extraction will be as soon as I can arrange it. The gentleman was excited to be able to repower his 70's era sailboat relatively cheaply. I was equally excited to have a serious buyer.

Weather permitting, tomorrow I will start the disassembling process, taking out all the dials, gauges, shifter, etc. Basically everything I can do to help the mechanics get the motor out.

As soon as the motor is out, I'm purchasing the base components for the conversion. Once I've bench-tested all the parts, I'll put Khaleesea up on the hard and start the install.

I'm considering expanding the engine compartment to fit more batteries in. There's room on top of it where I can replace the existing steps to make a bigger space for batteries. Ideally, I'll be able to fit the entire system into that space. We shall see. The worst thing that will happen is that I can't, and I put the batteries on either side of the boat where the house batteries are now.
Ten years ago when i converted to EP I managed to pull the 424 pound Westerbeke out of the engine compartment myself after a diesel mechanic who was to help me and buy the engine bailed. It was much easier than I ever thought and it was actually kind of fun pulling it and everything that went with it off of the boat. I got it into the main cabin and only needed the yard guys to use their crane to lift it out of the cabin.
https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2008...esterbeke.html

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 254 Old 12-30-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Ten years ago when i converted to EP I managed to pull the 424 pound Westerbeke out of the engine compartment myself after a diesel mechanic who was to help me and buy the engine bailed. It was much easier than I ever thought and it was actually kind of fun pulling it and everything that went with it off of the boat. I got it into the main cabin and only needed the yard guys to use their crane to lift it out of the cabin.
https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2008...esterbeke.html
I measured the motor today - it's bigger than the opening to get to it, so either it was partially disassembled and reassembled once in place, or the housing was built around it.

Either way, I'm letting professionals pull it from the boat. They charge by the hour, so I'll be disassembling what I can. I'm probably going to end up rebuilding the enclosure anyway, since it's partially rotted out, and I won't need nearly as many access points to get into it once the conversion is done. I'll design the system so everything will be accessible and removable through the front panel if possible.

I looked at the other parts that will need to go, like the inverter, and found out that some idiot used regular romex house wire to rewire the shore power connection at some point, and didn't even secure the lines. I'll have to add that to my list of things to fix.

I'll have to figure out how I'm going to work the new system. We've never used the inverter, but that doesn't mean the boat shouldn't have one.

Looks like I can get a 48vdc to 120vac 1500W inverter for about $250 - which is enough to power the microwave, the only high draw appliance in the boat. It should be fairly straightforward to to put in a bus bar for the 48v battery pack and run everything off of it.
post #28 of 254 Old 12-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I measured the motor today - it's bigger than the opening to get to it, so either it was partially disassembled and reassembled once in place, or the housing was built around it.

Either way, I'm letting professionals pull it from the boat. They charge by the hour, so I'll be disassembling what I can. I'm probably going to end up rebuilding the enclosure anyway, since it's partially rotted out, and I won't need nearly as many access points to get into it once the conversion is done. I'll design the system so everything will be accessible and removable through the front panel if possible.
Good idea. My engine was pretty big too. I had to take the heat exchanger off to get easier access to the exhaust manifold which I removed just to make sure it would fit through the opening into the cabin.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #29 of 254 Old 12-31-2018

Can you share with us how you use the boat (current and future intent) and why you are replacing an auxiliary diesel with electric propulsion?
post #30 of 254 Old 12-31-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsurgeon View Post
Can you share with us how you use the boat (current and future intent) and why you are replacing an auxiliary diesel with electric propulsion?
Khaleesea is Hunter 29.5. She'll probably never leave the Chesapeake Bay, and she's definitely not a blue water boat, so range isn't really an issue. Even so, if my math is correct, I should get 5kts for about 8 hours with the battery pack I'm putting in (16kWh).

With the charger I'm going to install on the boat, I should be able to full charge from dead empty in a day-ish.

I am reducing the amount of pollution I put into the Bay.

I'd like for my boat to be as quiet under power as under sail.

Sailing the bay, I should be able to get a week out of the batteries, provided I'm not trying to travel directly into the wind. If I'm sailing most of the time, the regen should cover any house battery usage and then some. I won't know for sure until I start collecting data, though. That's part of what this is about - learning what works and what doesn't.

Electric motors are *far* more reliable than even the most robust diesel, don't need reconditioning, maintenance, or winterizing, and weigh far less. The motor I'm putting in my boat weighs 35 lbs, making it easy to replace if necessary.

I'm planning to retrofit a catamaran for a circumnavigation some time in the future using a similar design. This is the prototype. Better to screw things up with a $3k system than with a $30k system.

Lastly, I have a bet with a friend that I can outrun his 33' hunter under power once the conversion is done. Since I'm more than doubling the available HP on the boat, that should at least make me competitive.

So yeah, there are a lot of reasons.
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in