SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electric/Hybrid (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electric-hybrid/)
-   -   Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electric-hybrid/326532-electric-conversion-log-kahleesea.html)

Captain Canuck 10-26-2018 01:29 PM

Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Thus begins my hopefully not-too-eventful conversion of my 1994 Hunter 29.5 to electric.

My assumptions:

~10kW motor @48V
~2 hours cruise speed @ ~5kts
Biggest, slowest 2-blade prop with the biggest pitch I can find - target RPM ~600 at cruise for maximum efficiency
Hull speed under motor power alone for short sprints (current Yanmar cannot accomplish this feat, tops out at about 6.5kts WOT. hull speed is 7.2)
Regeneration while under sail
Project completion ~ April 2019.

I'm open to suggestions as to motors, batteries, etc. I'm leaning towards a motenergy 1114 with a 5:1 gear reducer and used Volt batteries, since they're 9.5x9.5x10.5 and it will be easier to fit them in my available space than other lithium batteries.

Step 1 is this weekend - take video of the Yanmar 2gm20 starting up and running to show it's in good working order, and then post it for sale. Hopefully it will sell quickly. I'd like to remove it from the boat and drop it into the buyer's truck, as I don't really have space to store it anywhere.

Minnesail 10-26-2018 02:30 PM

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

I'm following this! I hope you post pictures as you go.

Captain Canuck 10-26-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesail (Post 2051560432)
I'm following this! I hope you post pictures as you go.

Absolutely. I don't mind sharing both my triumphs and my mistakes.

I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to proceed yet mainly because I don't have good visibility on the prop shaft coupler and the bottom of the engine compartment. Until the motor is out I won't know how precisely I'm going to be able to place the electric motor, only that it's not going to take up nearly as much space.

mstern 10-26-2018 04:15 PM

You should check out Learning the Lines on Youtube. This couple is doing a full re-fit on their Endeavor 32 (that they got for free), including replacing the diesel with an electric motor.

Captain Canuck 10-26-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstern (Post 2051560448)
You should check out Learning the Lines on Youtube. This couple is doing a full re-fit on their Endeavor 32 (that they got for free), including replacing the diesel with an electric motor.

53. ELECTRIC SAILBOAT Conversion Progress - Removing the Diesel Tank and Painting - DIY Sailing - YouTube

Sweet! I'll definitely check it out!

Captain Canuck 10-29-2018 09:39 AM

The Yanmar is up for sale, step 1 complete.

Step two will be pulling the old motor out. While I *might* be able to pull this feat off solo, there's a non-zero chance of me dropping the motor into the drink and/or damaging the dock, so I'm leaving it to professionals. I'll have pictures for that process.

I have a video of the motor cold starting in 55 degree weather. It takes about 30 seconds to catch and smooth out, then runs normally. In the summer it normally starts from cold in half that or less.

Towguy 10-29-2018 12:37 PM

..55 degrees is cold weather?.

Towguy 10-29-2018 12:42 PM

Oh,good luck n your conversion,check out mbiankas posts for how his is working..is interesting to follow different ideas..Ralph

Captain Canuck 10-29-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towguy (Post 2051560860)
..55 degrees is cold weather?.

Not for me, I'm Canadian.

Kahleesea's current motor doesn't like it below 60. One of the many reasons I'm ditching it for electric.

Captain Canuck 10-29-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towguy (Post 2051560866)
Oh,good luck n your conversion,check out mbiankas posts for how his is working..is interesting to follow different ideas..Ralph

Thanks! I've been planning this for years now. I'll keep adding to this thread as things progress.