eight kilowatts - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Re: eight kilowatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
No reason to give up your electric coffee maker. If you have decent batteries and a suitable inverter, just run it off the inverter. They draw ~750W for maybe 5-7 minutes, so your batteries won't be hit hard. You will lose maybe 7-9Ah from your batteries.

Mark
We do that anyway on charter, but sometimes one guest wants regular and the other decaf, so with the gas stove we can now do both at once.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 03-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Coffee made in an electric pot or " boiled " is like drinking cheap pink zinfandel.

If you really like coffee....grind your beans before brewing and put it in a French press. Otherwise don't waste your money and buyMaxwell House instant😞
CVAT likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #23 of 29 Old 03-15-2019

What is this heresy Decaf you speak of...kinda like non-alcohol beer...

Use your head for something other than a hat rest.

post #24 of 29 Old 03-16-2019

We use an Aeropress. It’s a plastic tube with a piston that is pushed down to force the coffee through a fine ss mesh. You get a hockey puck of grinds at the bottom when you’re done. The bottom of the device twists off so you can pop the used grinds out easily. No hassle cleaning it like with a French press. Useable in a seaway. Nothing to buy. No paper filters. Makes excellent coffee.
Current one is 6 years old. Works fine. $35 on internet.
Buy the local coffee. Surprisingly the cheapest brands are often the best.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #25 of 29 Old 03-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
With Onan's sound shield, the genset is nearly silent, so it's nothing more than a background hum.
Ours 7.6kw Mase genset is pretty quiet too. It lives inside it's own sound dampening enclosure, all of which is buried in a dedicated soundproofed genset locker under the salon sole and below the water line. You can stand right on top of it and have a conversation, without slightly needing to raise your voice. Nevertheless, on a peaceful morning, I don't even like hearing the dull buzz. If you sit in the cockpit, it's impossible to hear the motor running, but you do hear the exhaust splash.

Truth be told, I'm usually the first one up in the morning and I'm hoping to get some me time, before the boat full of guests arise. The genset is like an alarm clock. One could easily sleep through it, but they'll know I'm up.

Quote:
Now the big question for us is switching from an electric coffee maker to a stovetop method. Any suggestions on which you like best?
I find an old fashioned low tech stove top perculator works just fine. It's far from the best coffee, but with the right beans, it's perfectly acceptable and welcome. I have a high end prosumer espresso machine at home, which is my daily driver. I know good coffee, I just don't feel the need to live every moment in that space. Everything literally tastes better aboard anyway. A French Press makes better coffee than a perculator, IMO, but are more difficult to clean.

My go to onboard, however, is a Boche electric drip. I have a 10 cup and a 4 cup. The later gets decaf, when some want it. Both run off the inverter.

I've recently been introduced to a Nespresso pod based espresso machine. I'm an espresso snob and found some of the pods to be remarkably better than expected. Nothing like the real deal, but totally acceptable for a quick hit. Very expensive pods ($0.75 to $1.00 each), but could easily be run off the inverter as well.

My biggest advancement has been to buy one of what I call the gas station style pump carafes. I can get two full pots in there and have one more brewing, which is necessary when we have a lot of people aboard. Having to wait for someone to finish one pot, before I can start brewing the next, is awkward and leaves some waiting or politely not taking the last half cup.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 29 Old 03-17-2019

Quote:
I guess I neglected to mention that our last genset was a running take out at 19,000 hours plus.
That's a fantastic long life. Did you add an oil purifier or do anything special?

Quote:
As for operating our genset, it gets at least an hour in the morning and evening 365, with a water heater, high amp battery charger, fridge/freezer, and various kitchen appliances during cooking. When not cooking, the 35 gph watermaker goes on with its 17 amp draw, so I'm guessing a light load or little use won't be the death of this one.

Quote:
In the marine field, I believe electronics are a big mistake in both gensets and main engines. Spare pc boards deteriorate at nearly the same rate as those in use and they are expensive. A good old mechanically regulated genset and main engine are worth their weight in gold if one is beyond the reach of Sea Tow or speedy delivery (1 day overnight usually takes about a week here).
Amen brother. That's why with my new construction (a bluewater boat) I'm going with an old fashioned mechanical engine, even though it won't be compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Several hours????? Far as I'm concerned all you need to do is run it till it's fully warmed up and fully loaded for 10 minutes or so.
Generally running for a short time like that is not conducive to genset happiness. Running the engine puts sulfur, acids, carbon and pollutants in the oil, but they're not able to be driven out because the engine/block/oil never get hot enough. Time spent in the filter is minimum. Also when an engine is run infrequently then the startup is "dry" without adequate lube oil on the cylinder walls - a big source of engine wear. But honestly, no one but you knows how you're actually using your systems, so hopefully you're enjoying a good long life in your genset.
post #27 of 29 Old 03-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAT View Post
Actually de rating the hp will could the output of the generator as less hp means less mechanical power to convert to electrical power, so de rating the diesel could de rate the output of the generator if the diesel does not generate sufficient power to produce the wattage... In the end power is power whether it is Horse Power or electrical and changing one will result in changing the other.
Yes that is exactly my point. Let's say you have a 10hp 7.5kW genset but never load it past 2kW. That likely will result in a shorter engine life. So you have the engine de-tuned to (example) 7hp so at max it will produce 5kW. Now you are loading your diesel to 40% which is alot healthier.

Obviously there are limitations but a good mechanic could figure it all out.

I'm looking at gensets and the exact same engine model is available in 12kW or 16kW, so there is a difference in the tuning of the engine.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

I'm looking at gen sets and the exact same engine model is available in 12kW or 16kW, so there is a difference in the tuning of the engine.
Due to the fact that you want the diesel to run at constant rpm either 3600 or 1800 depending on if it is 2 pole or 4 pole, the difference between the two would most likely be on the generator side not the diesel side, most probably the current regulation circuits. But would have to see detailed breakdown of both units to be sure, but willing to bet a beer that they are probably almost identical except for a few parts.

Use your head for something other than a hat rest.
post #29 of 29 Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
That's a fantastic long life. Did you add an oil purifier or do anything special?

Amen brother. That's why with my new construction (a bluewater boat) I'm going with an old fashioned mechanical engine, even though it won't be compliant.

Generally running for a short time like that is not conducive to genset happiness. Running the engine puts sulfur, acids, carbon and pollutants in the oil, but they're not able to be driven out because the engine/block/oil never get hot enough. Time spent in the filter is minimum. Also when an engine is run infrequently then the startup is "dry" without adequate lube oil on the cylinder walls - a big source of engine wear. But honestly, no one but you knows how you're actually using your systems, so hopefully you're enjoying a good long life in your genset.
We always changed the oil around 150 hours. We added a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery oil at each oil change. When I got the genset it had around 6 k hours and of course running it every day of the year (any engine) would extend its lifetime considerably. Nothing is worse on an engine than not running it.
When I stored my truck when away operating a boat for extended periods, the first thing I'd do is take it to get the oil changed, as I believe longterm storage of oil in the engine deteriorates it.
Compliant with what? If you want a suggestion, I'd go with a Gardner, from Joe McCool
(really) in the UK. Absolutely the best, longest lasting, most fuel-efficient diesels I've ever worked with (and heaviest per hp). Had this boat not had an engine w/only 30 hours on it, she would have a Gardner today. My last one pushed a 125-ton steel vessel @ 10 knots in almost any seaway on 5 gph at 375 rpms. At that rpm, no need to change oil frequently!
I agree, 10 minutes is a rather short time to run any diesel, though it is better than nothing.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 03-17-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in