eight kilowatts - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 03-13-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

eight kilowatts

If a generator produces 4.4 kilowatts @ 238 volts, 60 Hz, will it produce 8 kW @ 120 volts, 60 Hz?
I was having a discussion with an electrician today who says not. He also said that the Onan 8 kW Genset rated @ 8 kW driven by a 10.5 hp diesel engine cannot possibly produce more than 6 kW.
All MDKD Onan gensets are rated as 8 kW units @ 1800 rpm and it seems as though there must be something wrong with either this gentleman's math or Onan's rating of 8 kW.
Any thoughts?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

Re: eight kilowatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If a generator produces 4.4 kilowatts @ 238 volts, 60 Hz, will it produce 8 kW @ 120 volts, 60 Hz?
I was having a discussion with an electrician today who says not. He also said that the Onan 8 kW Genset rated @ 8 kW driven by a 10.5 hp diesel engine cannot possibly produce more than 6 kW.
All MDKD Onan gensets are rated as 8 kW units @ 1800 rpm and it seems as though there must be something wrong with either this gentleman's math or Onan's rating of 8 kW.
Any thoughts?
HP and wattage are both measures of power, one electrical and one physical but can be directly converted.

Your electrician friend is correct 1 hp is 745.69 watts so at 10.5 hp the max wattage it can produce is 7829.745 that is assuming 100% conversion of power between mechanical power, hp, and electrical power, kw. Onan is over stating the generators output by rounding to the nearest thousand, at 10.5 hp the maximum it could produce, without loses and assuming 100% conversion is the above stated 7829.745 watts. No diesel generator can convert 100% efficiently from mechanical power to electrical, so in my opinion this is just Onan overstating the engines ability if it is true. When I did a check of Onan generators online the 8 KW models had 22.3 hp engines attached.

By the way for your first example, assuming the generator is capable of multiple voltages it would produce 4.4 KW, half the voltage but twice the amperage, as wattage = voltage X amperage.
JimsCAL and Capt Len like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Use your head for something other than a hat rest.

Last edited by CVAT; 03-13-2019 at 02:00 AM.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

I always understood genset wattage ratings to be their max spike load capacity, but continuous load was notably lower.
CVAT and CrispyCringle like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

On the current boat first had 4 kw lombardini. It was a total piece of junk. When I replaced it an new 8 kw Northern Lights was available at a extremely good price so installed that.
I never maxed out the output of the 4 kw unit. The current genset goes on rarely (has 17hours since Oct of 2018). When it goes on I charge batteries, vacuum, turn on the AC, watermaker, charge all electronics and tools etc. but obviously still don’t max out the 8kw unit.
I knew I wanted a low rpm unit. Smallest I could find was a 6kw and it was considerably more expensive than the 8kw.
Did I make a mistake in buying the 8kw? How important is it that a genset be run under full load occasionally?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

I'm not sure, but I doubt it's a problem to run a genset below full load. They run at constant rpm anyway. I suspect it may be poor for the diesel to run it at zero load for lengthy periods of time, but no one would do that. Curious too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not sure, but I doubt it's a problem to run a genset below full load. They run at constant rpm anyway. I suspect it may be poor for the diesel to run it at zero load for lengthy periods of time, but no one would do that. Curious too.
Found this https://boatmags.com/choosing-the-right-generator/ interesting and informative read.

Use your head for something other than a hat rest.
The Following User Says Thank You to CVAT For This Useful Post:
outbound (03-13-2019)
post #7 of 29 Old 03-13-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Did I make a mistake in buying the 8kw? How important is it that a genset be run under full load occasionally?
you are happy with it so, No you didn't make a mistake
outbound likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #8 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

CVAT's post is spot on.
CVAT likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #9 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I always understood genset wattage ratings to be their max spike load capacity, but continuous load was notably lower.
Our 8kW Kohler genset has a 14hp engine and is continuously rated for 8kW at 77F. It derates 1% for every 10F above 77F.

Our 5.5kW Nextgen genset has a 11hp engine and is continuously rated for 5.0kW at 77F. I don't know its derate factor for temperature, but know that it doesn't like running higher than ~4.5kW at typical hotter temps.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #10 of 29 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAT View Post
Found this https://boatmags.com/choosing-the-right-generator/ interesting and informative read.
That was a good read. This was the answer and it would seem unlikely many genset run with less than 25% load or one probably wouldn't be running them at all. I got a chuckle out of the recommendation that one consider having two different size generators to properly match loads.

Quote:
A generator should never run continually with less than a 25% load. 35% to 70% is optimal.
CVAT likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in