Khaleesea Evaluation and project costs - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Captain Canuck
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Khaleesea Evaluation and project costs

Here's my initial set of assumptions, copied from my first post on Khaleesea's conversion, and my comments:

~10kW motor @48V

I eventually settled on 12kw continuous @ 48v, water cooled.


~2 hours cruise speed @ ~5kts


I did a little better than this. At 40A, I can go ~5kts for about 3 hours.

Biggest, slowest 2-blade prop with the biggest pitch I can find - target RPM ~600 at cruise for maximum efficiency

In order to turn a prop at 600rpm and produce enough thrust to move the boat, I would have needed at least an 18" prop. While I could have fit one on Khaleesea, it would have required a longer prop shaft and the installation of additional support. In short, not worth it. I settled on a 3 blade 15/17 prop. While it doesn't accelerate the boat as well as the old two blade 15/12, it is remarkably efficient at cruising speed.

Hull speed under motor power alone for short sprints (current Yanmar cannot accomplish this feat, tops out at about 6.5kts WOT. hull speed is 7.2)

Until I install a water cooling system on the boat, I won't be pushing it to full throttle. Theoretically, I have enough power to go to hull speed.

Regeneration while under sail

This is still something of a question mark. I haven't had enough good sailing days to really test the regeneration.

Project completion ~ April 2019.

I blew by this one. I wasn't in the water until late June. Part of that was my fault, part of that was Thunderstruck's.

I'm open to suggestions as to motors, batteries, etc. I'm leaning towards a motenergy 1114 with a 5:1 gear reducer and used Volt batteries, since they're 9.5x9.5x10.5 and it will be easier to fit them in my available space than other lithium batteries.

I went with the Volt batteries, a 2:1 gear ratio, and a ME1115 water-cooled motor.

Total project costs:

Conversion kit: $2100
Batteries: $1500
Screws, nuts, bolts, bits, turnbuckles, etc: $400
Plywood, resin, chop mat, etc: $300
Used Prop: $350
Cables, ends, etc: $150 (I recycled whenever possible. This would have been much higher had I not done so.)
Misc. Labor (prop install, coupler install): $750
Hours spent by me doing all other work: Lots

Gross Total: $5550
Money recouped from selling Yanmar 2gm20: $2500
Net Total: $3050
Satisfaction from completing project: High
arf145, Minnesail and ThereYouAre like this.
Captain Canuck is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome