SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

SmartGuage Review

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  eherlihy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The SmartGauge is an interesting product and I have ordered some for the store I work in. I may try one myself. Currently I have a Link 10.

There should not be any reason to not be confident of the Victron though. As long as it knows the bank size in AH, has the correct Peukert programmed, and is reset when you know the batteries are fully charged it should be very accurate. The failing of the Victron and others like it is that they become less accurate unless synchronized regularly.

Here is the link to Maine's review of the SmartGauge:
Smart Gauge Battery Monitoring Unit Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

#6 · (Edited)
Another great article by Main Sail.

I too have a Link 10. I would probably have more confidence in it if I followed the instructions and periodically re-synced it when I knew the battery banks are fully charged. Problem is I believe that batteries need to "settle" for a period in order to get an accurate read on their charged state. Usually, after a long motor, when I feel confident that the batteries are fully charged you start putting on the juice, radio lights, water pump, etc.

The SmartGuage seems to be a much simpler option. It looks like the SmartGuage can also operate a relay. I would like to be able to run my Espar heater without the concern of running down the house bank. I'm thinking it might be fairly easy to swap out the Link 10 for the SmartGuage given that it appears that Link has more lines run to the batteries and shunts than appears to be needed for the SmartGuage. Maybe some reconfiguration and elimination of unneeded wires.

I'm smart enough to know there is a lot I don't know but not smart enough to know what I don't know.

#5 · (Edited)
Interesting writeup here which describes using the Smartguage in conjunction with an AH counter like the Victron 600 (which I have also). Basically, the AH counter is programmed with Peukert = 1.0, charge efficiency = 100%, etc., and is simply used as a straightforward ammeter and AH consumption counter (where it excels), while leaving all the SOC calcs to the Smartguage (where it excels).

#12 ·
Thanks MaineSail, I just ordered a SmartGauge from the Compass Marine Website.

Here is a simple question; does the SmartGauge come with AWG 14 leads and fuse holders for connection to the batteries, or do we need to buy our own?

Also - I understand that the positive leads need to be run directly to the battery terminal. However, the negative lead is shown as being run only to the house bank. Could I run the negative lead to my negative buss bar, instead of to the battery? (there are no shunts in my electrical system) In my case, this should be the same as running it to either battery's negative post.

#14 ·
Thanks for the follow up, and the fast shipment. I expect it tomorrow.

After more reading, and more learning, I now believe that I will need to do some (minor) rewiring. I had been using battery 2 as the house bank, and battery 1 as the start. I will have to change these.

It seems that the SmartGauge only tracks and displays the State Of Charge (SOC) for Battery (Bank) #1. It will display the voltage for battery 2, and this is printed on the button which selects battery 2 (thus necessitating the wiring change), but it will not display the SOC for battery 2. I believe that this explains why it must be directly connected to the battery terminal for Bank 1.

This is still MUCH better than the old analog volt meter that came with the boat.

See here for a LOT of great technical info on the SmartGauge: SmartGauge Electronics - Products

Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.