Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cranston, RI
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Shore power - Reverse Polarity and no power at GFCI outlets
So my DC rewire being complete, and working as intended, I've moved onto the shore power in my Santana 28.
I've done a bunch of reading, and have a good understanding of the intent of the reverse polarity light, as well as proper wiring for shore power systems.
My shore power setup is pretty basic, with one 30a shore power connection, and 3 circuits ending in GFCI outlets. Having bought the boat last year, and NOT doing much reading then, I used the system as-is for the season last year, primarily running small fans/ portable lights and portable radios on the system.
This year, having dug into all things electrical, I realized the system was sub par on safety components, primarily in that the junctions between the shore power and the three circuits comprised of an open box, wire nuts for connections, and some electrical tape holding it in a standard metal electrical box, see attached
No breakers, no fuses, nothing but hard wiring to the 3 GFCI outlets.
So I set about getting properly setup, and purchased a Paneltronics AC pane with 2 pole 30a main and 3 15a breakers. These come fully pre-wired, and you just connect the shore line in and loads out. All wires connected with ring connectors at panel, and bare wire at the screws at the outlets.
So to my dilemma and questions:
Having wired in the new panel, as well as replaced all 3 GFCI outlets, I am not getting power at the outlets.
1) 30a breaker turned on, correct Green LED indicates power
2) turning any of the 3 circuit breakers on activates the reverse polarity warning light (reverse polarity light does not light up with circuits off/ main breaker on)
3) 2 times, plugging in a portable light at one of the outlets caused the main breaker to trip
4) No power at any of the outlets with power leds on (reverse polarity light on also)
5) Re checked all 3 GFCI outlets to confirm ground, neutral, hot properly wired on Line side.
6) None of the GFCI breakers will trip. Pushing test button does nothing, pushing reset button does nothing
I am at a loss at this point, but hopeful this may be enough info for folks to provide some suggestions. I used one of the simple plug in 3 light testers, but there appears to be no power at the outlets. Since the reverse polarity light only comes on when a circuit is live I am unsure if the problem may be on the shore side? I've gone over the board and all 3 outlets 3x now and am sure all wiring is clean. The 14-3 wiring has no junctions between the panel and the outlets.
Shore power is 50a at our marina, just purchased a 50a to 30a pigtail yesterday with LED indicator that does light up when breaker on the dock is turned on.