Lithium Ion batteries - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-08-2015 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

Lithium Ion batteries

I have used Lithium Ion batteries on TV cameras for the last 10 years and am totally sold on the technology. They have been absolutely impressive in terms of reliability, longevity and power to weight ratio. Some of our 80WH 12V batteries packs are over 8 years old and still working on the field day to day despite hundreds of charging cycles. We have about 25 units which have traveled all over the world, in all kinds of environmental and weather conditions and never had a single failure. I see 12V Lithium Ion Marine Batteries | Deep Cycle Batteries | Smart Battery has pretty attractive pricing on marine lithium batteries. Has anyone switched to lithiums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-08-2015
Super Moderator

Re: Lithium Ion batteries

I run a LiFePO4 bank but it is custom built. Please stay away from "drop in" type LFP batteries. There is far more to a marine LFP conversion than simply dropping in a "12V look-a-like LFP battery...

If you are interested in learning a bit more about LFP's for marine use:

Marine Use LiFePO4 Batteries - Thoughts & Musings

If you want a pre-built factory made system the only two I like, at this point in time, are Genasun and Mastervolt with my strong preference going to Genasun.

BTW you may want check out the BBB rating of Smart Battery......

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
Waterrat (02-11-2015)
post #3 of 31 Old 02-09-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
12V Lithium Ion Marine Batteries | Deep Cycle Batteries | Smart Battery has pretty attractive pricing on marine lithium batteries. Has anyone switched to lithiums?
wow, that pricing was attractive to you

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old 02-09-2015 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

If you look at longevity, performance and weight, yes, lithium batteries are a good investment. When lithiums first enter the TV biz, they were 3 or 4 times the price of NiCads but everyone switched to Li-Ions within a few months, there was no way back.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-09-2015 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I run a LiFePO4 bank but it is custom built. Please stay away from "drop in" type LFP batteries. There is far more to a marine LFP conversion than simply dropping in a "12V look-a-like LFP battery......
Maine Sail,

Thanks for you comments, however, my question was related to feedback from anyone who may have purchased or currently using "drop in" lithium batteries such as the ones made by SMART BATTERY. I think this company deserves a fair look. Better, smarter and lighter batteries for boats are way overdue. I am a believer in Lithium batteries and have experienced first hand how they revolutionized the TV biz.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-09-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
If you look at longevity, performance and weight, yes, lithium batteries are a good investment. When lithiums first enter the TV biz, they were 3 or 4 times the price of NiCads but everyone switched to Li-Ions within a few months, there was no way back.
How do we know? For the longevity they would have to last at least 20 years to break even with FLA golf cart batteries (and yes I corrected for lithiums higher usable capacity). What is the longest data study around?

My house bank weights 240 lbs, what difference does that make to my boat.

Then I throw in all the monitoring and danger of overcharging and the whole thing just fails the cruiser equipment test.

In my mind lithiums being "better" is only if you apply enough "if's" to the statement.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 31 Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Maine Sail,

Thanks for you comments, however, my question was related to feedback from anyone who may have purchased or currently using "drop in" lithium batteries such as the ones made by SMART BATTERY. I think this company deserves a fair look. Better, smarter and lighter batteries for boats are way overdue. I am a believer in Lithium batteries and have experienced first hand how they revolutionized the TV biz.
Pay close attention to what Mainsail said.. He is the expert on Lithium technology batteries on multiple forums on the internet. There is no one else with anywhere near the experience he has. Read his website and you will understand.

Lithium batteries used in a marine environment are different from electronics, VERY DIFFERENT.

P.S. I looked at those batteries... Read Mainsails website and you will understand why those batteries would be a terrible investment (dead within a year).

Last edited by travellerw; 02-09-2015 at 06:03 PM.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-09-2015 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

Amen
post #9 of 31 Old 02-09-2015
Old enough to know better

My biggest issue with Lithium Ion Batteries is that when improperly charged or discharged they can ignite, and once on fire they are not easy to put out. Look at all the issues Dell (Sony made cells) had with them in there laptops. Imagine that happens on a boat made almost entirely of flammable materials. That scares the hell out of me. Remember a boat is a far more complicated environment than a single electronic device. You have less control of the draw of various devices that may be pulling current. Flooded lead acid and gel cells seem to be much more tolerant of various pulls and stupid moves. Working on the engine starter, and short out the system with 00 gauge wires leading to the battery bank and I don't want to be on board. Start a fire that just burns right thru the hull, ouch down goes the boat.
post #10 of 31 Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
My biggest issue with Lithium Ion Batteries is that when improperly charged or discharged they can ignite, and once on fire they are not easy to put out. Look at all the issues Dell (Sony made cells) had with them in there laptops. Imagine that happens on a boat made almost entirely of flammable materials. That scares the hell out of me. Remember a boat is a far more complicated environment than a single electronic device. You have less control of the draw of various devices that may be pulling current. Flooded lead acid and gel cells seem to be much more tolerant of various pulls and stupid moves. Working on the engine starter, and short out the system with 00 gauge wires leading to the battery bank and I don't want to be on board. Start a fire that just burns right thru the hull, ouch down goes the boat.
Do some research on Litium technology batteries.. The batteries the OP is talking about ARE NOT litium ion. They do not suffer from run away thermal problems that the batteries Dell and Sony used. Very different techology called lifepo4 (google it)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in