SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Balmar programming

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  btrayfors 
#1 ·
I'm installing a Balmar ARS-5 voltage regulator, and after reading the manual, I'm wondering why I would want the bulk charge mode to last the factory default 18 minutes after I start the engine before going into the calculated bulk charge mode. If I leave the dock fully charged, aren't I overcharging for those 18 minutes? Why not make the bulk charge time close to zero and let the calculated bulk charge mode decide how long to dump the full amperage in? Ditto with absorption charge time.

This is on a Niagara 35, with three (brand new, thus my concern) Lifeline 125 amp hour AGM batteries, and an 80-amp alternator.

#2 ·
1. Regardless of the time, the batteries will only accept what they can. YOu will do no harm to them.

2. You will not always be leaving the dock fully charged. You're thinking backwards. Instead, think of what happens after you've been sailing all day and/or spent a night at anchor. You will want the bank to get charged in bulk.

Altogether too many people think this wrong way. They are slaves to being plugged in. Instead, think of how it works when your banks are partially depleted.

#3 ·
Well if you are only day sailing from the dock it might not be a bad idea. But then again if you are only day sailing from the dock you really don't need a Balmar charging controller do you, a stock 35 amp alternator should do fine.

#4 ·
Don't sweat it. Those three Lifeline AGMs can take an initial charge of almost 400 amps when 50% discharged, or more like 1800 amps if discharged to 25% or so!! Quite enough to give your paltry 80A alternator a real workout :)

The batteries will be fine, and as Stu says, they'll take whatever amperage they're gonna take, given their state-of-charge at the moment.

Have fun, enjoy, and don't sweat the batteries.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.