Wire replacement and wire nuts - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 06-09-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: Wire replacement and wire nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The crimper you linked to is for battery cables, not the smaller gauge wires being discussed.

A proper single or double ratchet crimper sells for about 50 or 60 dollars. A good investment for anyone re-wiring on a boat. A proper crimp either with heat shrink terminals or with heat shrink added after will last even underwater for many years. Water will not enter the covering on good tinned boat cable.

Any observant surveyor would ask that your type of connection be removed.
That's what I thought as well but, if you notice, the one I posted goes all the way down to a #12 wire, not just for battery cables. I've seen similar that will do #14 which covers most of the small wiring on a boat. I was surprised that a 6 ton hydraulic crimper could be had for so cheap. I remember them being much more expensive. An actual pressed connection has got to better than a ratchet-crimped connection as it fuses the metals, no? 6 tons is 6 tons. Having one of these would also be good for the battery cables. My opinion on the entire "boat surveyor" issue is another topic:-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 06-09-2015 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

This is the crimper I will be buying. Why do you all need ratcheting crimpers? Are you all old and frail?
5-1/2 in. Stainless Steel Crimper-C55SMC - The Home Depot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 49 Old 06-09-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
This is the crimper I will be buying. Why do you all need ratcheting crimpers? Are you all old and frail?
I think the difference is between whether the two metals actually fuse together as one which happens with multi-ton crimpers. Looking at cross sections of hydraulic crimped connectors, the wire strands actually disappear and fuse together.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

post #24 of 49 Old 06-09-2015

Quote:
no, but we want a proper crimp which that crimper is not capable of.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #25 of 49 Old 06-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
An actual pressed connection has got to better than a ratchet-crimped connection as it fuses the metals, no? 6 tons is 6 tons. Having one of these would also be good for the battery cables.
it makes no difference the force as long as there is enough to do the job. Crimpers compress to a size so if the crimper uses 6 tons or 60 lbs of pressure it makes no difference. The shape of the dies is most critical for a proper crimp. Smaller crimpers are handy when in a tight space such as behind a panel.

As for quality you most often get what you pay for.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #26 of 49 Old 06-09-2015
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
The old 12 gauge wire only has about 6-8 strands in it. As electrons only travel on the outside of the individual wire strands the new smaller wire with 100 stands will actually carry more power with less loss and resistance, even if a size smaller.
??????

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #27 of 49 Old 06-09-2015

Quote:
The old 12 gauge wire only has about 6-8 strands in it. As electrons only travel on the outside of the individual wire strands the new smaller wire with 100 stands will actually carry more power with less loss and resistance, even if a size smaller.

Sorry, you misunderstood something you read. What you are talking about is the skin effect which does exist but only at high frequencies (RF). For your power cables, the electrons don't care a bit about surface or not surface, resistance is entirely determined by cross section.

So if you have one strand or a thousand, the current carrying capacity is entirely the same for the same cable thickness (for the sticklers to detail: sum of cross sections of strands)
post #28 of 49 Old 06-09-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
it makes no difference the force as long as there is enough to do the job. Crimpers compress to a size so if the crimper uses 6 tons or 60 lbs of pressure it makes no difference. The shape of the dies is most critical for a proper crimp. Smaller crimpers are handy when in a tight space such as behind a panel.

As for quality you most often get what you pay for.
Of course, it makes a huge difference in the amount of force. It's the difference between a molecular bond and a typical automotive "squeezed" connection. This may be of little significance on 14 ga. wire but on large 0 sizes it is imperative to get a molecular bond which cannot be achieved (or even attempted) with a common squeeze type crimper. It's comparing apples and grapes.

post #29 of 49 Old 06-09-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

smurph-
Apparently that crimper is one of the many fine products that are made in China to metric standards. Note that all the dies are metric (mm*2) sized with an "equivalent" to AWG sizes. Well, neither SAE nor AWG matches metric sizes, so those dies will be wrong pretty much all the time, here in the Colonies. Maybe "good enough" but still, an uncertainty.

"Tape is not going to keep anything dry in a bilge." self-amalgamating tape, not electrical tape, not rubber tape, but butyl or silicone self-amalgamating tape, does a damn fine job, even underwater, as long as you apply it properly to CLEAN insulation and give it 48 hours to set up and fuse together. It turns into one lump, pretty much like a stubborn oyster. I'd still rather see no splices in the bilge, but sometimes, a pump only comes with 6" leads when you need a good two feet.

I think I've seen every type of splice (wire nut, crimp, solder) fail when poorly made, and last for decades when done right. The number of contradictory industry and field practices out there might tend to suggest some truth behind that.

The URL to "NASA" splices and the Western Union Splice? Someone has been rewriting history. Before there was an internet, a "WU splice" was always described as a splice in twin wires, made without insulation or electrical tape, which wasn't to be had in the frontier 1800's. The lineman would cut and splice one wire "here" and offset the other wire "there" so that the BARE SPLICES could not touch and short each other out. The remaining insulation on each wire was all that separated them. THAT was a Western Union splice, and Telco lineman still used them if there was no way to insulate your work. The offset splices, not the style of wire twisting, was what made it a WU splice. FWIW.

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-09-2015 at 02:21 PM.
post #30 of 49 Old 06-09-2015
Load Bearing Member

Dock

Quote:
I worked on my company's production floor for many years many years ago. When ISO standards became the next 'big thing' all of our plier type crimpers were removed and we all got the ratchet type.

I crimped a ring lug to a wire with the old style crimpers; tie wrapped the ring to a support post; wrapped the wire around my hand a few times and yanked; the wire came cleanly out of the ring lug.

Same steps with the ratchet type - hurt my hand; wrap the wire around a tool and yank really hard - deformed the ring and broke the tie wrap. The crimp held.

I would only use the plier type to get back to shore where I keep my 'proper' crimper.
mitiempo likes this.

Zen Again

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in