Battery Switch rewired... wont turn OFF - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-23-2015 Thread Starter

Unhappy Battery Switch rewired... wont turn OFF

I replaced all of my 4 gauge cables going from my two deep cycle batteries to the battery power switch (as well as the one going from battery switch to the alternator). The switch has the option to run on battery 1, 2 or both. But I'm fairly certain the way it was hooked up it was running on both batteries regardless whether on 1, 2 or both. I thought I could fix that and here's what I did....

I connected both of negative terminals of the batteries together and then ran another cable to the engine ground. I ran a cable from the + terminal of battery 1 to the corresponding connection on the back of the switch. Ran another cable from + on battery 2 to the corresponding connection on the back of switch. 3rd cable was attached to the last available port on the back of the switch and connected to the alternator. So now everything is hooked up. All of the electronics are working. But i go to turn the switch off and nothing happens. Everything stays on. It doesn't appear to be switching from battery 1 and 2 either.

Hopefully this is just a silly oversight on my part. Can anyone offer advice?
Attached Thumbnails
marine-battery-selector-switch-we-ship-fast-free-too_1854106.JPG   84430_BS_CompactBatterySwitch_back.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-23-2015

Re: Battery Switch rewired... wont turn OFF

Unless theres some wiring you didn't tell us about,bet you got a silly oversight jammed in the unit, preventing the knob from turning the switching mechanism.away from 'both' Another oversight would be switching thru 'off 'with engine running, but you knew that.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaPilotMark View Post
...3rd cable was attached to the last available port on the back of the switch and connected to the alternator....
You should have attached the cable to/from the control panel to the "Common" post, did you?
If you did, it could be that the switch is defective and not breaking the connection. Did you "feel" or hear anything move when you switch to off?

post #4 of 5 Old 07-23-2015

Simple test with a voltmeter. Continuity between 1-common, 2-common should both be open in "off" at batt 1" 1-common, Zero resistance etc. Test this with the leads off. If the switch is good the leds must be mixed up.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2015

Installing Battery Selector Switches (the "posts" in the back don't physically match with the switch positions on the front) Batteries and a factory (?) mis-wired battery selector switch

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Tags
batteries , battery , battery switch , power switch , wiring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in