Hydraulic Crimping Tools & converting to AWG? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Hydraulic Crimping Tools & converting to AWG?

I'll have a small project that needs four #2AWG lugs crimped, and while I could order to cables from genuinedealz, I though maybe by no Amazon would have a hydraulic crimper that had AWG not mm2 dies.

Nope.

The mm2 dies always are too loose for AWG wires. The worst being maybe #6AWG where about 13.3mm2 is expected to crimp tight in a 15mm2 die?

Now, I can see that if our "SAE" crimping cups are thicker walled than the mm2 ones in China are, the finished crimp could still match up. And I appreciate that lugs and dies (the tool) should come from the same matching source, in the best of worlds.

But I'm wondering if those "loose" mm2 dies could be made a bit tighter, converted to AWG sizes, by simply grinding a little bit off their mating edges, so that the dies "overbit" and simply crimped down a little tighter than they were designed to? Making them right for AWG die sizes.

I know, nuisance time with a grinder. But I've go the grinder, and only need to grind one die, once in a long time, so there's not a lot of extra work to just do each one when and as needed.

Not totally mad?

I don't mind ordering in crimped cables...I'd just like to have the tool in hand, on site, for the times when ordering in would just hold a project up by a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-30-2015

Re: Hydraulic Crimping Tools & converting to AWG?

Easiest and probably best solution is to order the correct tool for the job.

Heavy Duty Crimping Tool for Battery Lugs & Terminals 6 AWG - 250 MCM Genuinedealz.com

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #3 of 20 Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Sure. A huge $240 tool for four crimps.

What's "right" for tradesmen using it every day, is often not economically feasible, no particularly desirable, for occasional use.

Not the first time someone here has said that, is it?

post #4 of 20 Old 08-30-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

If a bit of grinding will do it, why not? How about a Swage-it tool? I've done large electrical crimps with one of those. The #8 hardened bolts on those can exert lots of pressure, more than the metal can take before it extrudes and probably as much as any $250 crimper.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I've got one of the swageits, or something similar...IIRC this one is actually a tool for flared plumbing fittings (G) so grinding them down to AWG sizes would be a bit more work. Anyway, that's in the plumbing box, not a boat box.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-30-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

I think the largest swage hole on those tools is .25, pretty close to a #2 AWG wire. Might be just right?

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Dunno. Also remember that you need to allow for the thickness of a "standard" lug itself, not just the wire. And every maker seems to just say "Use our lugs with our tool" rather than discuss whether there are any standards.

So you take a dull chisel and a maul...(G)
post #8 of 20 Old 08-31-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dunno. Also remember that you need to allow for the thickness of a "standard" lug itself, not just the wire. And every maker seems to just say "Use our lugs with our tool" rather than discuss whether there are any standards.

So you take a dull chisel and a maul...(G)
I've never been able to justify buying one of those expensive crimpers just to do an occasional cable end either. Sometimes you just have to make something functional and forego "perfect."

post #9 of 20 Old 08-31-2015 Thread Starter
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"Sometimes you just have to make something functional and forego "perfect." "

Only if you're a pragmatic Yankee. (WEG)
post #10 of 20 Old 08-31-2015

I've used the nicopress swage tool on electric cables and it works pretty well, but not a "perfect" crimp. The bench mounted one at your local West Marine is quick and easy, especially of you bought the wire or lugs there. They might get a little upset of you brought your own parts in to do it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in