SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Splitting Shore Power Cable (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/217178-splitting-shore-power-cable.html)

sailak 08-31-2015 03:19 PM

Splitting Shore Power Cable

While the boat is sitting in the slip during the winter I like to have a couple low power air dryer fans running to help with condensation/mold/etc.

My concern is if there is a power outage (not uncommon due to avalanche or high winds over the winter) my batteries might be discharged since the inverter will continue to power the dryers. On my boat everything goes through the heart interface, it's not possible to isolate the AC side.

Would this work? Split the shore power cable with one side going to the normal connection for the boat, the other side being a 3-prong female "household" plug I could connect an extension cord to for running the air dryers?

Classic30 08-31-2015 07:34 PM

Re: Splitting Shore Power Cable

Maybe I'm not understanding your problem correctly.. but couldn't you just run the extension cord from a spare AC outlet on your shore power box dockside - along with your usual shore power cable? Tape them together if you need to..

MarkSF 08-31-2015 07:50 PM

If most dock boxes are like mine, they only have one outlet.

overbored 08-31-2015 07:54 PM

turn the inverter off run the blower on shore power only

Capt Len 08-31-2015 08:22 PM

Could make up a shore side splitter and run the two cords from there. Probably one male 30 amp in, one 30 amp and one 15 amp female out. This conveniently ignores legal breaker requirements on the 15 amp circuit if the dock is 30 amp. So? I've made these up so able to plug in power tools on the dock without draping the cord back from the cockpit.

Classic30 08-31-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 3001090)
If most dock boxes are like mine, they only have one outlet.

Then plug into your next-dock neighbours one when he isn't looking. ;)

There'll be a spare someplace. It's not uncommon around here to see an extension lead being run half-way across the marina...

sailak 08-31-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 3001114)
turn the inverter off run the blower on shore power only

If the inverter is off I have no AC in the boat.

albrazzi 08-31-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailak (Post 3001458)
If the inverter is off I have no AC in the boat.

You said this was a winter precaution does AC matter then.

Scotty C-M 08-31-2015 11:45 PM

AC being Alternating Current, I presume. If you have an Inverter/Changer, they often have a setting to isolate the inverter to the off position. At any rate, I have done what you propose. I have a splitter on the dock. One side goes to 30 Amp, which goes to the boat. The other side of the Y is a typical house style plug. I bought a 50 Amp extension cord (it was expensive) which I run into the boat so that I can run some extra heaters in the winter when we are at the dock overnight. Works fine. I don't leave it hooked up, however, when I'm off the boat.

sailak 08-31-2015 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albrazzi (Post 3001594)
You said this was a winter precaution does AC matter then.

Very much so -- charger for battery banks and the air dryer are 110v.