9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 12-30-2015
Lake Sailor

Re: solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlt1149035 View Post
Hi,

Harbor Freight sells 1.5 watt ($15.00) solar charges. I have used it to maintain a car battery when we are away for extended amount of time. What I want to do is use them as a back up for my boat battery over the winter should we lose power as I keep the boat in the water. She is a 1958 wooden boat and takes on some water, need the pump to work.

Thank you for your help,
Joe
You're going to need more than that little panel for that.

Start here Installing A Small Marine Solar System Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter

Gary,

I did not mean to run the pump, just keep the battery up if the power failed

Joe
post #13 of 15 Old 12-30-2015
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Gary,

I did not mean to run the pump, just keep the battery up if the power failed

Joe
Still will not be enough....

Paging Maine Sail.... Maine Sail expertise required in this thread.....

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 15 Old 12-31-2015

Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

anecdotal evidence; but.......
A Bud runs HF rig at camp Takes a 5 w roll-up panel eight hours to fill a set of AA batts in his handheld ! A seperate 15 w panel to recharge his small (30Ah ?) gel for running the vehicles transmitter takes several hours of brite sun to get it going again; not necessarily filled to the brim.

A 15 w panel is ner to 1 A. A regular car charger on 2 A setting takes *how* long to refresh a dead group 24-7 batt enuff to stat car?? Granted; a started take a helluvva lotmore juice tthan a bilge pump; but that's one item ( the pump) I wouldn't want to go begging for power !

HTH,
Paul

S/V Chrysalis
'80 Watkins 27
North East, MD
post #15 of 15 Old 12-31-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

Harbor Freight sells 1.5 watt ($15.00) solar charges. I have used it to maintain a car battery when we are away for extended amount of time. What I want to do is use them as a back up for my boat battery over the winter should we lose power as I keep the boat in the water. She is a 1958 wooden boat and takes on some water, need the pump to work.

Thank you for your help,
Joe
$10.00 per watt is really quite expensive..... That said even in optimal conditions a 1.5W panel is only capable of producing 0.12A. This is barely enough to keep up with self discharge in warm weather let alone a bilge pump or stereo memory or what ever else is bleeding on the system. If the batteries were fully charged and fully isolated then a 1.5-3W panel could "maintain them" in cool weather. A 10W panel would be a far better "maintainer" and you should be able to find one for under $3.50 per watt or a far better deal and HF....

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in