New boat/battery question - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 02-26-2016

Re: New boat/battery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Thanks, Stu- I'm working on sourcing them now.. It's a bit problematic here in Florida, but the boat is not yet in my back yard so I've got time.

Ray
Ray, I googled US Battery or American Battery out here and found their distributor's warehouse, bought them there right of a brand new pallet. You might try that method instead of just a reseller.

I have (3) Grp31 for 390 ah. Been doing this for 18 years.

Good luck.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 03-03-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

I have a fair number of Firefly batteries out there and a lot more scheduled to be installed. I buy my Firefly batteries From Bruce at Ocean Planet Energy but he has a number of distributors. If you are in the Chess Coastal Climate Control is also a Firefly dealer.
From your customer base that has these installed, have you started to get a feel for the expected longevity of these batteries, either in year or number of cycles? Or, have you tested any yourself?

If they are designed to go 'really' deep in the cycle and operate under PSOC, then what sorts of failure mechanisms remain? Heat only?

If they significantly outlast other AGM's, then their economy becomes obvious.

Thanks!

-Argyle

S/V Argyle
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-03-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
From your customer base that has these installed, have you started to get a feel for the expected longevity of these batteries, either in year or number of cycles? Or, have you tested any yourself?

If they are designed to go 'really' deep in the cycle and operate under PSOC, then what sorts of failure mechanisms remain? Heat only?

If they significantly outlast other AGM's, then their economy becomes obvious.

Thanks!

-Argyle
I was one of the first in the marine industry to have a Firefly, Nigel was the other. Nigel's experience parallels what I have seen. He is using his on his own boat and I have been beating the piss out of mine in my in my shop/lab/test bench as well as on my own boat last year..

When I got the battery I was sure carbon foam was another BS fad and I set out to try and prove that. So far the battery is winning.

Nothing I have done to it has resulted in a loss of capacity.

-- That battery was used in the Practical Sailor PSOC testing. It survived with all its capacity when no other AGM did.

-- After the PSOC testing the battery was left to sit for three months after a discharge to 20% SOC in temps between 90F and 70F. It recovered all its capacity.

-- It has had no less than 40 complete discharge capacity tests to 10.5V and still has all its capacity.

-- It has undergone nearly 100 cycles to 80% DOD and it still has all its capacity.

-- I took it "car camping" with the kids, installed on my brother-in-laws camper (his battery was dead) and we used an inverter off it. By day three the inverter kept shutting down on low voltage.. The kids kept turning it on and it would eventually hit low voltage again and shut off. LVC on that inverter is 10.7V. It was four weeks before my brother-in-law got the battery back to me, at a resting voltage of 11.1V. I charged it, cycled it, charged it and tested Ah capacity and it still had all its capacity...

-- It was used on my own boat last year and never charged beyond 13.8V, which is my LiFePO4 batteries charge voltage. Despite 9 months of never seeing more than 13.8V, for about 20 minutes at a time, the battery still has all its capacity.

-- This winter it has undergone another 42 cycles to 11.7V and still has all its capacity..

So to answer the question, yes I have tested it...

While I certainly don't have long term data what I have seen thus far is darn impressive. I've not seen any lead acid battery perform like this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
Argyle38 (03-03-2016)

post #24 of 24 Old 03-03-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I was one of the first in the marine industry to have a Firefly, Nigel was the other. Nigel's experience parallels what I have seen. He is using his on his own boat and I have been beating the piss out of mine in my in my shop/lab/test bench as well as on my own boat last year..

When I got the battery I was sure carbon foam was another BS fad and I set out to try and prove that. So far the battery is winning.

Nothing I have done to it has resulted in a loss of capacity.

-- That battery was used in the Practical Sailor PSOC testing. It survived with all its capacity when no other AGM did.

-- After the PSOC testing the battery was left to sit for three months after a discharge to 20% SOC in temps between 90F and 70F. It recovered all its capacity.

-- It has had no less than 40 complete discharge capacity tests to 10.5V and still has all its capacity.

-- It has undergone nearly 100 cycles to 80% DOD and it still has all its capacity.

-- I took it "car camping" with the kids, installed on my brother-in-laws camper (his battery was dead) and we used an inverter off it. By day three the inverter kept shutting down on low voltage.. The kids kept turning it on and it would eventually hit low voltage again and shut off. LVC on that inverter is 10.7V. It was four weeks before my brother-in-law got the battery back to me, at a resting voltage of 11.1V. I charged it, cycled it, charged it and tested Ah capacity and it still had all its capacity...

-- It was used on my own boat last year and never charged beyond 13.8V, which is my LiFePO4 batteries charge voltage. Despite 9 months of never seeing more than 13.8V, for about 20 minutes at a time, the battery still has all its capacity.

-- This winter it has undergone another 42 cycles to 11.7V and still has all its capacity..

So to answer the question, yes I have tested it...

I have never seen any lead acid battery perform like this. Doing what I have done to this battery is murder for every other AGM out there....
Ok, ok- we get it.. they're phenomenal batteries. Sheesh!

It will probably be overkill, but I want them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in