Thank you MaineSail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 09-03-2016

Re: Wiring Diagram feedback

Maine Sail - Have you blown a fuse? That "wiring diagram" is completely wrong. I'm not familiar with the Victron shunt. I suppose it has some active circuit unlike a conventional shunt. But a drawing that connects wires at terminals that are not actually connected is useless. Is that how you work? I dont think so. So i guess with all sorts of dangerous assumptions the drawing can be understood...

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #23 of 35 Old 09-03-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
Maine Sail - Have you blown a fuse? That "wiring diagram" is completely wrong. I'm not familiar with the Victron shunt. I suppose it has some active circuit unlike a conventional shunt. But a drawing that connects wires at terminals that are not actually connected is useless. Is that how you work? I dont think so. So i guess with all sorts of dangerous assumptions the drawing can be understood...
Not blown a fuse at all and I find your personal level insul/rudeness unwarranted and un called for.

I see MUCH, MUCH worse diagrams from actual boat builders all the time.

It would be nice if you actually tried to help the OP instead of just slamming his diagram as "completely wrong".

I would challenge you to point out every detail that is "completely wrong" so that he can correct it. Better yet download it into MS Paint and draw in the corrections for him. That would be helpful, bashing his diagram and claiming it is "completely wrong" without also providing detail of where exactly it is "completely wrong" is pretty much of no help to him.

Sadly his diagram skills are actually better than many of the boatbuilders out there.

Let's focus on specifics so we can help each other..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-03-2016 at 09:34 PM.

post #24 of 35 Old 09-03-2016

The house battery (+) is shown connected to the shunt. In the diagram, the shunt shows four terminals. I would expect the outer terminals to be wired between the battery (-) and the ground bus. The two inner shunt terminals would be the sense terminals and be connected via the twisted pair wire to the monitor.

This is probably not what the OP intended to convey, but to make things clear, the battery (+) needs to be connected to the battery monitor. So do the shunt sense wires. The monitor probably also needs an independent ground-bus connection.

In the diagram,the echo charger and the solar controller (+) terminals show two wires apparently connected, where I believe there are actually independent terminals. There should be an input and an output (and a ground), and the diagram does not make this clear. The batteries show similar connection symbols, but I believe these are true connections.

Paul Elliott
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, Washington

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 35 Old 09-03-2016

Your refer pulls 6 amps when running. You need 160 amps per day.

On my Endeavour 42, my refer pulls 10 to 12 amps when running yet I dont consume 160 amps per day. I did add a bit of blueboard insulation to the freezer and squirted some foam insulation into the frig/freezer walls. Actually, a lot of foam, I was surprised at how much the cavities took easily. I would look at whether you really are pulling 160/day and whether you can do some insulation upgrades. Do you see condensation on any exterior refer surfaces? If so, you have poor insulation there.

I have 4 solar panels for 480w total. And I have a 750 amp house battery bank. A bigger bank wont work as hard. I ripped out the old battery box and rebuilt it, I found a lot of wasted space below which I used by installing tall batteries, Trojan T-1275s
post #26 of 35 Old 09-03-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
The house battery (+) is shown connected to the shunt. In the diagram, the shunt shows four terminals. I would expect the outer terminals to be wired between the battery (-) and the ground bus. The two inner shunt terminals would be the sense terminals and be connected via the twisted pair wire to the monitor.
The victron shunt uses a shunt mounted PCB and a UTP data cable, that sends power and voltage data to the the monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis
This is probably not what the OP intended to convey, but to make things clear, the battery (+) needs to be connected to the battery monitor. So do the shunt sense wires. The monitor probably also needs an independent ground-bus connection.
What he conveyed is a decent representation of how the Victron shunt gets wired... If he had added wire gauges to the diagram and the fuses, he did clearly label the UTP cable, it would be more accurate. For anyone that has installed a Victron shunt they would know what he was conveying rather easily.

Victron Shunt

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-03-2016 at 11:47 PM.
post #27 of 35 Old 09-03-2016

Not sure why your/ the Op's refer would be running 24 hours a day? Don't you have a thermostat? My Danfoss unit has about a a 60 percent duty cycle. On for six minutes, off for four minutes. I can actually tweak it a bit to run more or less depending on my available power.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #28 of 35 Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
What he conveyed is a decent representation of how the Victron shunt gets wired... If he had added wire gauges to the diagram and the fuses, he did clearly label the UTP cable, it would be more accurate. For anyone that has installed a Victron shunt they would know what he was conveying rather easily.
OK, fair enough. I was looking at the schematic as being more generic, given the lack of detail (yes, I know the battery monitor model # is called out in the sidebar but I am not personally familiar with the associated shunt).

I believe my comment about the echo-charge connections is still valid, as is my general observation about the confusing module connection diagrams.

I suppose the objective should be to critique the intended design, rather than the schematic style, but to do this safely we need a minimum of schematic ambiguity.

Paul Elliott
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, Washington

post #29 of 35 Old 09-04-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Units are important. Failure to get the units right indicates, to me at least, either sloppy thinking or a failure to understand.

Amps / day for example is a meaningless term (a measure of accelerating current only applicable to discussions of inrush current and would then be in terms of milliseconds and not days).

Amperes (amps or A) are a measure of current (coulumbs/second).

Amp·hours (Ah) and Watt·hours (Wh) are measures of energy.

In discussing energy capacity or consumption it is helpful to talk about energy per unit time - usually Ah/day on boats, kWh/month in homes.

Getting the units right aids understanding and communication.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #30 of 35 Old 09-04-2016 Thread Starter

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post

Not sure why your/ the Op's refer would be running 24 hours a day? Don't you have a thermostat? My Danfoss unit has about a a 60 percent duty cycle. On for six minutes, off for four minutes. I can actually tweak it a bit to run more or less depending on my available power.
My fridge does have a thermostat, and probably runs on a 70% on / 30% off cycle due to the size of the box (10 cf) and the small amount of insulation that is there. One of my next projects is to reduce the size of the box with added insulation.

My AH /day calculations were based on fairly conservative estimates of usage....Would be curious to learn what your average consumption is, if you track that.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in