"Not an electrician" needs wiring critique. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 Old 11-22-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Re: "Not an electrician" needs wiring critique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
*If your dock offers 15A or 20A 120V AC simply use an extension cord for the battery charger, when dockside, and plug directly into the charger.
I can't remember the last time I disagreed with RC but this comment makes me uncomfortable. No issue as long as you are on the boat. Leaving a conventional extension cord connected when you leave is counter to ABYC recommendations and manufacturers specifications for the cord. If your marina is paying attention they'll be unhappy since it will violate the terms of their facility insurance.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 Old 11-22-2016 Thread Starter

Ok....I'll draw this up and resubmit.
post #13 of 46 Old 11-22-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I can't remember the last time I disagreed with RC but this comment makes me uncomfortable. No issue as long as you are on the boat.
My current AC configuration is like this:

AC Shore Power --->(2) 15amp Outlets.-->battery charger

So, the battery charger is plugged into one of the 15amp outlets. No need for the long extension cord.

post #14 of 46 Old 11-22-2016 Thread Starter

How is this one:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by smitty225; 11-22-2016 at 06:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smitty225 For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (11-22-2016)
post #15 of 46 Old 11-22-2016

That looks much simpler and easy to troubleshoot. Am sure I am missing something and will let the pros chime in but you are on the right track. I would take the suggestion of combining the two batteries and going to a simple single circuit Off/On switch.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #16 of 46 Old 11-22-2016 Thread Starter

That battery switch in the diagram is already in the boat. I don't see the need to replace it. I'll just use it in "both" or "off."
post #17 of 46 Old 11-22-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I can't remember the last time I disagreed with RC but this comment makes me uncomfortable. No issue as long as you are on the boat. Leaving a conventional extension cord connected when you leave is counter to ABYC recommendations and manufacturers specifications for the cord. If your marina is paying attention they'll be unhappy since it will violate the terms of their facility insurance.
If they have a properly wired marina, and the pedestal offers a GFCI protected 15A or 20A outlets, there is nothing in the ABYC or NEC that prevents an owner from plugging an extension cord directly into a battery charger that is designed for that purpose. We have hundreds of thousands of boats in the US that have only an AC battery charger but no 30A service, just a pig-tail charger. We also have many marinas that have only 15A or 20A receptacles for catering to runabouts and lake boats.

If your marina does not offer 15A or 20A GFCI protected outlets, at the pedestal, then you do not want to do this. You also DO NOT want to to plug your boat into a 30A NEMA L5-30 to straight blade "adapter" that steps 30A service down to straight bladed extension cord....

A dock with 15A or 20A receptacles, if wired to code, will be protecting those outlets with 15A or 20A breakers and a GFCI outlet, much safer by comparison to a 30A adapter suicide plug.. Using a 30A NEMA L5-30 to straight bladed adapter now means your 14GA or 12GA extension cord is now protected by a 30A breaker, and this is BAD news.

Is this an "ideal" scenario", no not at all, but there is nothing in the codes or safety standards that precludes it if the dock is correctly wired for 120V 15A or 20A outlets. This would be considerably safer than an owner creating a dangerous on-board wiring situation, with a non-marine inverter, missing safety Earth grounding and incorrect wiring practices that could kill someone.

In a marina with only 30A or 50A service extension cords and adapters, to get to straight bladed extension cords, should be banned by the marina. The use of 30A to 15A or 20A straigth blade is what is dangerous because of incorrect OCP for teh cord being used.

Again I only recommend this for a vessel where the dock is already properly wired for 15A or 20A 120V GFCI protected outlets not when a 30A to 15A or 30a to 20A adapter is required..
jdubbery likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-22-2016 at 07:53 PM.
post #18 of 46 Old 11-22-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty225 View Post
My current AC configuration is like this:

AC Shore Power --->(2) 15amp Outlets.-->battery charger

So, the battery charger is plugged into one of the 15amp outlets. No need for the long extension cord.
Your current shore power does not meet ANY safety standards...

This is the easiest schematic for a basic AC system that also meets the applicable safety standards.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-22-2016 at 07:43 PM.
post #19 of 46 Old 11-22-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty225 View Post
How is this one:

[IMG][/IMG]
In regards to AC....... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

post #20 of 46 Old 11-23-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
If they have a properly wired marina, and the pedestal offers a GFCI protected 15A or 20A outlets, there is nothing in the ABYC or NEC that prevents an owner from plugging an extension cord directly into a battery charger that is designed for that purpose.
I defer to your knowledge of ABYC but I'm pretty sure the NEC does not approve that Home Depot/Lowes/WalMart extension cord for submersion. If the hundreds of thousands of boats using extension cords never end up with the extension cord in the water I'll be very surprised.

From a practical point of view straight blade connectors are not mechanically secure. Ignore the fact that 99.5% (I made that number up - almost all) of outlets are upside down. A straight blade connector not fully seated is a safety hazard. Twist-lock and even SmartPlug are better even if not perfect. I rather like ring terminals and machine screws myself, but hey that's just me. *grin*

Quote:
We also have many marinas that have only 15A or 20A receptacles for catering to runabouts and lake boats.
That doesn't make it a good idea for unattended applications.

Quote:
In a marina with only 30A or 50A service extension cords and adapters, to get to straight bladed extension cords, should be banned by the marina. The use of 30A to 15A or 20A straigth blade is what is dangerous because of incorrect OCP for teh cord being used.
Agreed. I built a breaker box for my adapter.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in