"Not an electrician" needs wiring critique. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 11-23-2016
Super Moderator

Re: "Not an electrician" needs wiring critique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I defer to your knowledge of ABYC but I'm pretty sure the NEC does not approve that Home Depot/Lowes/WalMart extension cord for submersion. If the hundreds of thousands of boats using extension cords never end up with the extension cord in the water I'll be very surprised.
Shore power cord-sets from Hubbell & Marinco use PVC jacketed STW 600V 60C wire. This is no different than a a good quality contractor grade extension cord which can easily be sourced with the same STW rating.. STW extension cords are quite easy to find, even in yellow if you want.

Quote:
From a practical point of view straight blade connectors are not mechanically secure. Ignore the fact that 99.5% (I made that number up - almost all) of outlets are upside down. A straight blade connector not fully seated is a safety hazard. Twist-lock and even SmartPlug are better even if not perfect. I rather like ring terminals and machine screws myself, but hey that's just me. *grin*
Considering how bad the "twist-lock" 30A connections perform, out in the real world, and how bogus the grandfathered current carrying rating is, IMHO they are really only a knats hair better than a 120V standard straight blade.

Again an extension cord is only a last resort when you have a marina "properly wired" for it and only then to avoid a DIY making potentially deadly AC wiring mistakes.. Properly wired for it means GFCI protected dock outlets and, if wired recently, an ELCI breaker at the service point.

Quote:
That doesn't make it a good idea for unattended applications.
Neither does a twist-lock 30A service, yet thousands of boaters choose to rely on them every day while they continue to cause MILLIONS in fire damages each year.

Quote:
Agreed. I built a breaker box for my adapter.
And how many 30A to straight blade adapters are out there? Yours would be the first correct adapter from 30A to 15A I have ever seen. I conduct electrical inspections (leakage etc.) on upwards of 200-300 slips per year and have yet to see one. I honestly don't know how they get away with even selling them or how they can sleep at night doing so without the proper over-current protection. Adapters are just one of those "slips between the NEC/NFPA land based standards and ABYC cracks sort of issues.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-23-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 11-23-2016 Thread Starter

Here are my edits:

Last edited by smitty225; 11-23-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #23 of 46 Old 11-23-2016 Thread Starter

Also...is there an easy way to eliminate the (potential) neutral to ground condition in my cheapo "not for marine use" inverter?

Mike

post #24 of 46 Old 11-23-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Yup; DON'T USE IT in a Marine environment.

What do you need an inverter for on a 27' boat anyway?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #25 of 46 Old 11-23-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
What do you need an inverter for on a 27' boat anyway?
TV? Other non DC appliances?
post #26 of 46 Old 11-23-2016

Please go back and re-read Post #18 https://www.sailnet.com/forums/3737609-post18.html
Your AC distribution is not correct. You could consider purchasing a pre-wired AC distribution panel.
You really really have to get that part correct.

On the DC side, if you are going to parallel the batteries as a house bank they both need to be deep discharge types.
I can't tell what DC loads are bypassing your battery switch and which aren't but previous posts in this thread state the one or two loads only that should bypass the switch.
post #27 of 46 Old 11-23-2016

Smitty

The breaker you need is double pole and rated for AC. The one you show above is a single pole and rated for DC only.

This would work and meets all standards:

An additional 15 amp breaker is installed in the blank space for AC outlets. If you need more circuits other panels can be chosen.

The galvanic isolator is the first item after the shore power inlet, then the panel shown above.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #28 of 46 Old 11-23-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty225 View Post
Here are my edits:
Still No.. See post # 18..

If you want an installed AC system it should be done correctly, to the standards and safely.

Flow will look like this:

30A Inlet > 10GA Triplex Marine Wire (White, Black, Green) > White & Black to Double Pole Main Breaker (With Reverse Polarity Indicator) > Green to AC grounding bus and bonds to DC ship grounding point > Branch Breakers > 14GA Triplex Marine Wire (White, Black Green) > 15A GFCI Outlets > Battery Charger/other AC loads

You will want an AC panel with a 30A main breaker, reverse polarity indicator and branch breakers such as (Blue Sea 8099 or similar)

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-24-2016 at 07:59 AM.
post #29 of 46 Old 11-25-2016 Thread Starter

I hope everyone had a good turkey day. I borrowed a little time this morning, and updated my drawing. I think I've got all the bases covered here:

[IMG][/IMG]
post #30 of 46 Old 11-25-2016
Super Moderator

@g;
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty225 View Post
I hope everyone had a good turkey day. I borrowed a little time this morning, and updated my drawing. I think I've got all the bases covered here:

[IMG][/IMG]

Where are the branch breakers? You can't have a 30A main breaker protecting 15A outlets. This would be like wiring your house outlets directly to the AC panels main breaker..

At this point I am going to strongly urge you to consult or hire a professional marine electrician.
mitiempo likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in