SIX weeks and zincs are TOAST - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 Old 05-30-2019
Super Moderator

Re: SIX weeks and zincs are TOAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Is your boat "bonded"? If so do you also have metal tanks or things connected to the ground circuit? If you do check to be sure all those grounds are in good condition or things like a fuel tank level monitor will pass current into the bonding etc and out the shaft to the water
Typical marine fuel tank senders are a simple resistance device and don't use or need +12V power to do their job in sending a resistance measurement to the fuel gauge.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-30-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Part of the problem was that the 12VDC Facet Fuel Pump was using the same lug as the fuel sender as the negative *and* the bonding wire. (See my ABYC references above). The fuel pump WAS sending power into the bonding circuit every time that it was energized.

I have since separated the bonding and the negative circuits.

@overbored 's post makes me so happy that I don't have a saildrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #53 of 60 Old 05-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Typical marine fuel tank senders are a simple resistance device and don't use or need +12V power to do their job in sending a resistance measurement to the fuel gauge.
The capacitance and hall effect ones do. Ones like this, for example (we have them): CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #54 of 60 Old 05-30-2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The capacitance and hall effect ones do. Ones like this, for example (we have them): CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

Mark
Precisely why I said "typical".. Most production boats have a Moeller/Tempo type then the next most common we see is a Wema/KUS type.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

post #55 of 60 Old 05-31-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I don't understand. How does the gauge on my dashboard measure the resistance of the variable resistor in the tank without sending a current through the variable resistor? Doesn't there have to be a current flowing into the sender's spade fitting and back out through the body of the sender in order to measure its resistance?

What is actually inside of the marine gauge on my dash? Google can find some stuff about automotive gauges, some quite detailed like SW-EM Fuel Gauge for an old Volvo, but seems to find nothing for marine gauges. That site shows maximum sensor voltage occurs at the empty tank condition: 5.3V and maximum sensor current occurs at the full tank condition: 76.6mA

Bill
post #56 of 60 Old 05-31-2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I don't understand. How does the gauge on my dashboard measure the resistance of the variable resistor in the tank without sending a current through the variable resistor? Doesn't there have to be a current flowing into the sender's spade fitting and back out through the body of the sender in order to measure its resistance?

What is actually inside of the marine gauge on my dash? Google can find some stuff about automotive gauges, some quite detailed like SW-EM Fuel Gauge for an old Volvo, but seems to find nothing for marine gauges. That site shows maximum sensor voltage occurs at the empty tank condition: 5.3V and maximum sensor current occurs at the full tank condition: 76.6mA

Bill
Clearly I should have been more clear. You will not see 12V+ on the sender wire (battery level voltage) in a typical marine fuel, oil pressure, temp etc. gauge. If you do measure 12V +/- there is most likely a problem with the gauge. With the gauge powered, if you measure between "S" and the neg bus, you should see 8V or less but not 12V.
eherlihy likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

post #57 of 60 Old 05-31-2019
bell ringer

Guess in a few months we will know the answer. Till then it is all theory.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #58 of 60 Old 07-04-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

7/4/2019 UPDATE:

Happy 4th of July!

During my annual Independence Day Cruise with The Admiral, we went from Warwick RI to Cuttyhunk MA to Westport MA to Bristol RI. On the way from Westport to Bristol we stopped at Third Beach where the water is relatively clear, and the water temp was above 70ļF. I dove in to check the anodes, and to see if there was any damage from the lobster pot that we picked up on the rudder while leaving Cuttyhunk. I am pleased to report no damage to the rudder, and the anodes look GREAT! Once again @Don0190 had it EXACTLY correct in Post #40. (Makes me wonder if he was messing with my boat...)
RegisteredUser likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #59 of 60 Old 07-04-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
]Don0190 had it EXACTLY correct in Post #40. (Makes me wonder if he was messing with my boat...)
Tell me the boat name, model, hull number and Iíll check my records. You know I used to sail out of Salem right ?
Uncle Bob the 1st likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #60 of 60 Old 08-03-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

8/3/2019 update:
I sailed the boat to Prudence Island and jumped in to inspect the anodes again today - 8 weeks after launch, and probably 100 engine hours this season. The anodes are still there and looking OK! More barnacles than I'm used to seeing, although the prop is clean, the anodes and the strut had a LOT of growth. I scraped this off with a putty knife, and all seems good. I can now confirm that the problem was that the bonding circuit and the battery negative were tied together at the fuel tank. Whenever the Facet lift pump was energized the anodes were bubbling.

Problem solved!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in