SIX weeks and zincs are TOAST - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 10-18-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Exclamation SIX weeks and zincs are TOAST

After 9 weeks in the water, I had my boat short hauled on August 28. The zincs looked pretty bad so I replaced them with 2 brand new CAMP 1" zincs, and she went back in the water on the 29th. Fast forward six weeks, and I had the boat hauled and blocked for the winter this week and visited to winterize the freshwater system and take down the canvas, and a bunch of other things yesterday. I was curious as to how the zincs had held up so it was one of the first things that I checked out.

This is how they looked (this is flipped 90);

The boat lives on a mooring in brackish water (Greenwich Bay, RI) and has not been on shore power at all! I have done a couple of cruises and probably motored about 55 hours during those six weeks.

The shaft is stainless, and the prop is bronze. The bonding wire has been disconnected from the through hulls (yes - I know what I am risking), but is attached to the keel, the engine (and therefore the transmission and the prop shaft - no flex coupling) the mast, and the shrouds.

Right now, I am planning on replacing the zincs with aluminum anodes for next season.

Other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
20171017_154539.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 10-18-2017

Re: SIX weeks and zincs are TOAST

Time to bust out the reference cell and current leakage grade meter.... Even carbon/graphite packing or a PSS won't accelerate the erosion that badly. You have a DC leak there, and it's small, and will require meticulous tracing.

FWIW The day I launched, late may, all I had on hand were cheap CAMP anodes and they came out of the water just fine, on Monday, barely eroded...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #3 of 57 Old 10-18-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Thanks!

Yes, I forgot to mention that I do have a PSS Shaft Seal.
Attached Thumbnails
East Providence-20120506-00111.jpg  

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 57 Old 10-18-2017
Dirt Free

Definitley a DC Leak, check the integrity of your bilge pump wiring first then any other conductors in the bilges if you don't have a reference cell..... then buy a cell

Good luck.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #5 of 57 Old 10-18-2017

Plop plop fizz fizz!

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #6 of 57 Old 10-18-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Definitley a DC Leak, check the integrity of your bilge pump wiring first then any other conductors in the bilges if you don't have a reference cell..... then buy a cell

Good luck.
Thanks!

There are no wires in the bilge, except for the bonding and about two feet of bilge pump wires. There is no water in there either.

This is what the zincs looked like in August, after 9 weeks.

I guess that there isn't much that I can do about it now, as the boat is on the hard for the winter

It looks like a reference cell, and a new DVM is in my future.
Attached Thumbnails
20170828_153831.jpg   2016-09-22 12.41.04.jpg  

post #7 of 57 Old 10-18-2017
Dirt Free

Gotta love a clean dry bilge.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #8 of 57 Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

I do...

I have an idea of what the problem is. I upgraded the alternator to a 90 amp when I bought the boat. I simply swapped the alternator and replaced the wire without looking at the wiring layout. Two years ago I reconfigured the battery banks into a 220ah house bank. Last year I added 12v refrigeration, and moved from a slip to a mooring.

The alternator negative lead is AWG 8 that runs to the engine block. I had also added an AWG 2 from the other side of the engine block to the negative bus bar.

I should have run an AWG 2 from the bus bar to the alternator.

post #9 of 57 Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

My point is that prior to this year, the load on the battery bank was less, and the shore power charger was handling the load. Now, the alternator is doing all the work, and the inadequate wiring (through the block) is showing its limitations.

post #10 of 57 Old 10-19-2017

I don't have this problem but I went to look up what a reference cell meter is, not sure what I'm looking for.
So
What is a reference cell meter?
thanks
Bob

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in