Catalina 270 Electrical HELP PLEASE! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-06-2017 Thread Starter

Catalina 270 Electrical HELP PLEASE!

All of a sudden my electrical panel not working. I have fresh batteries that are charged. I have 30 amp shore power that is working. Where would you suggest I start to try and troubleshoot this? Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-06-2017
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: Catalina 270 Electrical HELP PLEASE!

Many Catalinas have a shore power switch in the aft lazarette. Does your boat have one, and is it on? It is a circuit breaker, so it might need to be re-set. This is also where I would start on trouble-shooting. As in all electricity, look for the obvious things first (think loose connecters, switches, and dirty connections). Start at the beginning of the circuit (with your multi-meter) and work your way "down stream". Electricity can be oh so frustrating. Sometimes so simple, sometimes so elusive. Good Luck.

edit: sorry, I didn't notice if you are refering to the AC or DC sides of the board? Upon re-reading, it seems it might be the DC side. If so, are your batteries fuse protected? They probably are. If so, those fuses should be checked. They are located close to the positive terminals of you batteries. On my boat they look like little square boxes.

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 11-06-2017 at 04:29 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-06-2017

Assuming the voltmeter on panel reads zero ? I'd start at battery terminals, clean and recheck there with your portable voltmeter, then check at the battery switch which I think I remember as being in the panel also ?

"Just call me TB"

post #4 of 12 Old 11-08-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. This boat has 110 shore power switch in the main panel. Is there still a breaker behind the panel for that switch? I note that the blue "SERVICE" light is not illuminated.

The battery panel shows fully charged batteries.

IF I get into the panel, where would I look first to troubleshoot those wires?
post #5 of 12 Old 11-08-2017
Dirt Free

Playing with electricity is dangerous, particularly on a boat. You are clearly operating above your pay grade. Strongly suggest you call a marine electrician.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-08-2017
Owl

Yeah, that's not an insult, sunsail. The low-voltage side is one thing, but 110 will kill you.
If you really want to mess around with this, try doing it with the shore power UNPLUGGED.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-08-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Adding to, and agreeing with @boatpoker 's post; most fires on boats are electrical in nature. Not knowing what you are doing can get you killed, or cause a fire on your boat, and damage your neighbors' boats too.

While you may not need to hire an electrician, I suggest that you start by verifying that the dock box has the breaker turned on, and that the shore power cord is good, by swapping with a knowledgeable neighbor on your dock. Based on the little information that you have given us, there are too many variables beyond this for us to troubleshoot the problem that you are encountering through a forum.

If with the help of a neighbor, you cannot figure the problem out, then it is time to call in a professional... Either that or sell your boat.

BTW this should not be in the "Introduce Yourself" forum, but should be in "Electrical Systems"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-08-2017

Not to sound like a smart alec but perhaps purchasing and learning the proper use of a Volt Ohm meter would be the place to start. People are continually asking on forums like this what the cause of their problem is. People can make suggestions of what has failed in their experience or what parts commonly fail but nobody can be sure except the person directly in from of the problem. Education is a good thing, blindly stabbing in the dark to kill a gremlin is generally not only a bad idea but is also usually very expensive.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-09-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. I understand.

One of the core issues is that this is in a very remote location-- meaning there are NO OTHER sailboats down there. Very few experienced people with sailboats marine systems. The marina is on my property (I own it) and this is not my first rodeo. I have a great deal of experience with sailing but am concerned about electrical for all the reasons you have mentioned. I have not detailed everything as it would make too long a narrative. I am working with an electrician this Sat and I do know how to operate a voltmeter. My question had to do mostly with once we go inside the boat itself. We will rule out the breaker issue and I am switching out the 25 year old shore power line-- hopefully that will solve the AC input. What I was wondering was after we get the AC power figured out--what else should I be looking at "behind the panel" inside the boat-- what fuses are there to inspect for a Catalina 270. Yes, I have called Catalina tech support.

I still may be above my pay grade here but hey I want to learn, so I do value your experience and opinions. Thanks again for your comments.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-2017

There aren't any fuses, the switches on the panel are circuit breakers. If the panel voltmeter is reading you got power to there and the rest is a mystery. The blue service light indicates 12 volt turned on, but it's just a bulb and may be BO, did it ever light ? There is a 110 AC main breaker for the shorepower located in the port lazzerette. I'll post a wiring diagram here, if you don't have an owners manual there is one available at the Catalina 27/270 owners assoc. website.
International Catalina 27/270 Association
Attached Thumbnails
271-72003-std.jpg  

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 11-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in